• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Impressions from the Savage Worlds Test-Drive

Shades of Green

First Post
What is this?
I've never owned or played any edition of Savage Worlds or any derivative of it; however, I've heard many good things about it recently. My RPG experience is mostly with D&D 2E and 3.0E, BFRPG, Traveller (both Classic and Mongoose) and Shadowrun (2E, 3E and 4E). Since Savage Worlds is dirt-cheap (10$ not including shipping), I might be tempted to buy it if it will suit my needs and gaming style.

Pinnacle Entertainment Group has a Test-Drive version of the Savage Worlds Rules available for download for free from its web-page. There are also several short adventures and pre-generated characters of various genres available for download from the same site. Since it is free of charge, I seem to have every reason in the world to check it out in detail. I've read through the Savage Worlds Test Drive Rules (v6) in the last few days and I'll post my comments here today.

Things I Liked
1) The mechanics are simple, very very simple, at least at the basic level. Attributes and skills are rated (by point-buy, if I understood the rules correctly) by a die type. They range from d4 (weakest) to d12 (strongest). In almost all cases, actions are resolved by rolling 4 or more on a trait die; for example, if you're shooting someone, and have a d8 Shooting skill, you need to roll 4 or more on d8 in order to hit the target. Dice also "explode", that is, if you roll the highest number on a die (e.g. 4 on a d4), you get to roll another die and add the results together. If you roll 4 or more above the target number (i.e. 8 in most cases), you get a "raise" which means that you've performed the task particularly well. I like that; the whole basic rules can be easily memorized, and there is no need to wonder which die to roll for a task as the traits themselves are dice types.

2) There are "Bennies", i.e. fate-points, which all important characters (PCs and NPCs) have a few of them (usually three) per game session, which could be used to add a certain level of player control over play, usually re-rolling dice but also saving the players' skins from being killed by bad dice rolls. This is a nice luck mechanic, yet not too overpowering; I like that.

3) There are Edges and Flaws (called Edges and Hindrances in SW); they seem to be a quick and easy way to make characters more interesting.

4) There seems to be very little paperwork involved in combat. Combat - which uses quite simple mechanics - either produces Wounds or a Shaken result (which temporarily disables a combatant). Being Shaken when you're already Shaken also creates a Wound. Most Extras (i.e. mooks) are removed from play by one wound; Wild Cards (i.e. heroes) can survive three wounds before they're in a danger of dying. No need to track HP, especially for mooks. I like that!

5) Combat initiative uses playing cards rather than dice! Cool!

6) Both attacks and damage use exploding dice, so even weaklings (including lowly punks and goblins) may get lucky from time to time; this means that combat is a little more swingy than, say, in D&D.

7) Magic - called "Powers" in this game - is quite generic but has "Trappings" to allow customization and flavor; so a Blast power may be a fireball, a swarm of insects or an ice explosion using the same game mechanics but a different flavor.

Thing I didn't Like
1) The layout and art of the test-drive rules and all the other free material available from the Pinnacle Entertainment site, while very good-looking, don't look very printer-friendly, especially due to the amount of color art and color background. In other words, if I'm going to buy SW, I'll probably buy it in print rather than in PDF form.

Things I am not so Sure About
1) The game is written in a somewhat slang-ish language. This would be perfect for the atmosphere of a pulp game, but I'm not sure how this will fit games such darker fantasy, hard sci-fi or Cthulhu-type horror where a serious tone is desired.

2) The game supposes an heroic setting; PCs (and major NPCs) are "Wild Cards", that is (somewhat) larger-than-life heroes who are harder to kill and more successful to succeed in tasks than ordinary people. This fits pulp and D&D-type fantasy perfectly, but I'm not sure if this ruleset will be appropriate for harder SF or Cthulhu.

3) How does Armour work? is it added to Toughness, or to the Parry roll?

4) The Test-Drive rules state that spellcasters start with 10 Power Points, yet most pre-generated mages I came across had 20 Power Points... Why is that so?

5) Strangely enough, a machine gun (M60) which was statted in the Test-Drive rules, had the same stats as an assault rifle except for a larger ammo capacity; shouldn't it have a higher rate of fire?

6) SW miniature combat is in inches, and, I assume, fits 28mm figures. I prefer to use a metric system (i.e. cm) and 15mm figures; how easy are things - especially the blast templates - to convert to this scale?

Questions I Have
1) How does combat "feel"? Is it fast and furious, with a lot of cool results (which is the impression I get from reading the Test-Drive rules), or slower and more gradual? How interesting and/or cool is the typical combat encounter in SW? How lethal is combat?

2) How does the game, in general, "feel"? How easy to play is it in actual use? How easy are the full rules to learn by new players (especially ones who don't like complicated rules)?

3) How easy is SW to run with a small group, say 2 players and a DM or one-on-one?

4) How easy and/or quick is prep for SW? This is one of the biggest issues for me in any rule-system, as RL time is becoming more and more limited and some systems (such as D&D 3.xE) take quite a time to prep for.

5) Could it be used to play D&D-type fantasy? Semi-hard (think Traveller) sci-fi?

Settings I might want to Run using These Rules (will they work well with SW?)
1) Sword & sorcery, if the rules will fit that style well. Probably using my post-apocalyptic Wounded Gaia setting.

2) A modern quasi-pulp conversion of X1: Isle of Dread, with some inspiration from Lost. The PCs' plane will crash on an island stuck in a pocket in the time-space continuum, where dinosaurs and other weird creatures are trapped along with the alien Kupru (and their crashed spaceship, which is the reason for the temporal anomaly), and the quasi-abandoned facilities of a DHARMA-type organization (MJ12?) which found a way to get to the island in the 1970's but later killed most of themselves in a civil war instigated by the surviving Kupru. The game will focus on survival and exploration, and later on unlocking the mysteries of the island; the climax would be destroying the Kupru spaceship's jump-drive, hence returning the island to the main time-space continuum and allowing easy escape.

3) A fantasy/steampunk hybrid crime-centric game inspired by the Thief series of computer games but maybe with some D&D or Shadowrun elements (such as dwarves) added in for good measure.

4) A post-apocalyptic setting similar to this.

The Bottom Line
I seem to like the direction at which the Test-Drive rules were hinting; fast, furious, fun and easy to play, all while not burdening the game too much. A the ruleset is cheap (10 US$ not including shipping), I'm seriously considering buying it...

Asmor

First Post
6) SW miniature combat is in inches, and, I assume, fits 28mm figures. I prefer to use a metric system (i.e. cm) and 15mm figures; how easy are things - especially the blast templates - to convert to this scale?

Replace "inches" with "centimeters." Heck, you could replace them with feet, rods, or light years too.

Units don't matter.

A

amerigoV

Welcome to the Savage World! I've been playing SW for about 6 months (a former long time D&Der), so I'll answer a few of your questions.

1) The game is written in a somewhat slang-ish language. This would be perfect for the atmosphere of a pulp game, but I'm not sure how this will fit games such darker fantasy, hard sci-fi or Cthulhu-type horror where a serious tone is desired.

Reality Blurs made Realms of Cthulu for SW. What they did was add a mental mechanic that worked just like the wound system. It used Spirit to determine "toughness" and you make a Smarts roll to Soak mental wounds. If you wanted less pulp and more horror (either physical or mental), you do not get to Soak wounds (this allowed 4 playstyles depending on what types of wounds you allowed/disallowed to be soaked).

This is what I really love about the system - modest adjustments can be made to change the mood.

Overall, you are right in that SW is very pulp driven. RoC is a great book to pick up to show what you can do with the system.

It adds to toughness.

4) The Test-Drive rules state that spellcasters start with 10 Power Points, yet most pre-generated mages I came across had 20 Power Points... Why is that so?

The pre-gens off the PEG site are 25xp. You can increase your PPs once per Rank (novice, seasoned, veteran, etc). Even at creation, you can take hindrances and pick up the Power Points Edge to start with 5 higher.

Questions I Have
1) How does combat "feel"? Is it fast and furious, with a lot of cool results (which is the impression I get from reading the Test-Drive rules), or slower and more gradual? How interesting and/or cool is the typical combat encounter in SW? How lethal is combat?

As you observed, it is more "swingy" than D&D. The best thing to do for new players is throw a lot of extras with lower toughness to get a feel for the system. A common rookie GM mistake is to grab something like an Ogre, make them a Wild and go at it. The combat feels like a 4e grind - you hit, but the high toughness/soaks from the high vigor grinds. One players learn some tactics (tricks, test of wills, gang up, called shots), then tackle the traditional D&D BBEG.

Once players get the hang of it, it is fast. The big pick up in speed is actually on the GM side. I use poker chips for wounds and shaken. As a result I almost NEVER use a pencil to write things down in combat. My eyes are on the table/players the whole time. It results in better actions and descriptions for me since I am not writing down "-5 hp on Skeleton with the axe". Also with extras, you can just grab a bunch of dice and throw (say 4 zombies attack, grab 4d6 and roll). You can quickly tell if one hit or not.

For the players, speed comes with familiarity just like any system.

2) How does the game, in general, "feel"? How easy to play is it in actual use? How easy are the full rules to learn by new players (especially ones who don't like complicated rules)?

Players learn the base rules pretty quickly. I am in a group that runs 3.5 one week and SW the next (both fantasy, I am running them through Expedition to Castle Ravenloft with SW). The groups is veteran D&D 3.5 ( many years). They have taken to SW with little problems.

From the player side, there are some fiddly bits to get to know if you really want to get the most from the system. I do not mean it from a powergaming perspective, but stuff like tricks and test of wills. It is hard to break from D&Disms - example: you can attack ANYTIME during your move (so you can hide behind cover, pop up to shoot, and duck back down).

How it plays - well, sometimes it is GM dependent like any system. It can be awesomely pulpy (fits Eberron to a T). The GM just needs to realize that Extras can be dangerous due to the exploding dice (the PCs could easily mow down 3 extras and the 4th could inflict a big hit back on them).

SW plays in a narrower range of power than D&D 3.5. In D&D, you go from putz to god. In SW, you go from good to great. Since a player can make a pretty powerful combat PC at the start, the scale of the monster you can throw at them widens. PCs tend to grow in breathe vs. depth

3) How easy is SW to run with a small group, say 2 players and a DM or one-on-one?

I'll find out this weekend :).

One thing you can do in this system is give the players some extras. They have their main PC (a wild) and extras to make sure they have the skills they need. Extras are fast and easy to run. I bet one on one can work very well - a PC Sgt and his squad of 4 or 6 extras.

4) How easy and/or quick is prep for SW? This is one of the biggest issues for me in any rule-system, as RL time is becoming more and more limited and some systems (such as D&D 3.xE) take quite a time to prep for.

This was a huge reason I switched. Once you get the hang of things, you can almost eyeball opposition. This allows focus on the plot and setting vs. crunching the numbers. If you get the book, it will give you once piece of advice which is golden - if you want the enemy to have it, give it to them. DO NOT BUILD THEM LIKE A PC. Its liberating.

As I mention, I am running Ravenloft (EtCR). Conversion is a breeze. As a GM, you do need to give thought to Trappings, as that is what brings the magic system to life. So far, I have use Tarot cards for trappings (Madam Eva the fortuneteller), Undead insect swarms, and my players nearly pissed their pants with the Entomber conversion from the model (used the Entangle power to trap them in a tomb). So this a bit of work sometimes, but it is the "cool" stuff vs. number crunching.

If you need to throw together an encounter because the players went off in an unexpected direction, you will have no problems in SW just winging it.

5) Could it be used to play D&D-type fantasy? Semi-hard (think Traveller) sci-fi?

Yep. I added some of the Cthulu mechanics (the sanity system) for my Ravenloft game to replicate the Taint system D&D was using. As I said, my group bounces between D&D and SW (fantasy) and both play very well.

4) A post-apocalyptic setting similar to this.

I notice you like Post Apocalyptic settings. There are several Savage Worlds ones (Hell on Earth is when the bad guys in Deadlands wins, and I think there is another one where the Mindflayers won). One I got recently that is just oozing with ideas is Day After Ragnarok

The best advice I have gotten on the system is play it as is before tinkering. There some items in the rules that make you scratch your head. Once you seem them in action a few times, it starts to make sense.

On the $10 rule book, read it close. For $10 bucks, they did not waste words as you can imagine. The are not biblical in that they only say things once. Hang out a the PEG boards - they are very friendly and helpful. Also, make sure you get the 3rd printing. The second printing has binding issues (PEG will gladly replace, although I just got mine spiral bound and it is better in my opinion).

At the end of the day, if you understand the shaken/wound system (there is a trick in it), how Bolt works, and using a machine gun then you have mastered the system. Those three concepts all have a mind-twister in it. All other mechanics are straight forward and fast.

TheNovaLord

First Post

2) The game supposes an heroic setting; PCs (and major NPCs) are "Wild Cards", that is (somewhat) larger-than-life heroes who are harder to kill and more successful to succeed in tasks than ordinary people. This fits pulp and D&D-type fantasy perfectly, but I'm not sure if this ruleset will be appropriate for harder SF or Cthulhu.

5) Strangely enough, a machine gun (M60) which was statted in the Test-Drive rules, had the same stats as an assault rifle except for a larger ammo capacity; shouldn't it have a higher rate of fire?

1. Hellfrost for it works well and is dark fantasy, it is excellent for pirates, 1930s pulp, solomon kane, deadlands, and zombie apocalypse. I dont think it would work well for slow/serious/deep like cthulu, victorian investigations, though there are books for SW for those genres.
2. as above, it doesnt suite absolutely everything
3. Armour sort of adds to toughness BUT many weapons have Armour Piercing and ignore X amounts of armour
4. Likely has extra power edge. dependent on if you play deadlands, hellfrost etc, the magic system changes. HF has no power points, just a risk of the dreaded siphoning of magic if you miscast
5. the game is about the characters, not his gear. It is likely somewhere it mentions the weapon has Auto, Burst, etc so may do more.
6. I have only seen a few games where minis are used. I dont use them in SW UNLESS its pirate ship v pirate ship, space ship v space ship etc

Questions I Have

1. combat is mostly fast, you hit a mook it goes down. Some bad guys can be real tough so you need to do stunts, gang up, cool shizzle etc to take them out
2. Dead easy to run out of combat. You mostly need to roll a 4 to succeed
3. Never done it. With only 1 or 2 players give the PCs a bunch of 'allies', its in the rules
4. It is dead easy. make it up as you go along is not a problem. Mosts baddies have 'flavour' and roll a d6
5. hellfrost is dark fanasty with snow elves, ice orcs, etc. Tommorrow i run the next session of something i made up called 'Chapter House Chronicles' Its a lot like Dune. The game isnt suitable for star trek. heroes solve the problems, not McGuffins n tech.

PLEASE ask if you need more answers.

genres I have Played SW:
cowboys
renniasance
pirates
'the mummy'
zombies
dark fantasy
dark age Britain
necropolis 2350
dune-ish

Stalker0

Legend
I've played a bit of SW here and there.

My biggest pro is that it really is fast and furious. Combats are quick as are rounds.

I like the card initiative system, it works well for the system and is one of my favorite aspects.

On my dislikes list...I will say that combat is actually fairly lethal. There is a huge variance in difficulty depending on how many bennies your party has so be careful with that.

Also I will also say that boss fights can get very grindy if you party doesn't know all the advanced tricks they can pull off.

Still its simple enough to learn and use that I recommend everyone give it try, for some people its exactly what they are looking for.

coyote6

Adventurer
1) The layout and art of the test-drive rules and all the other free material available from the Pinnacle Entertainment site, while very good-looking, don't look very printer-friendly, especially due to the amount of color art and color background. In other words, if I'm going to buy SW, I'll probably buy it in print rather than in PDF form.

FWIW, their later PDF products (including the current version of SW:EE) use layers so you can easily toggle the backgrounds off for cleaner printing & use less ink. Of course, your PDF reader has to support that.

Also, you get both a regular and printer-friendly version of some of their other earlier products.

Shades of Green

First Post
Replace "inches" with "centimeters." Heck, you could replace them with feet, rods, or light years too.

Units don't matter.
Hmmm... Aren't there Burst Templates that are supposed to be printed to a certain scale (based on inches IIRC)?

Reality Blurs made Realms of Cthulu for SW. What they did was add a mental mechanic that worked just like the wound system. It used Spirit to determine "toughness" and you make a Smarts roll to Soak mental wounds. If you wanted less pulp and more horror (either physical or mental), you do not get to Soak wounds (this allowed 4 playstyles depending on what types of wounds you allowed/disallowed to be soaked).
Other than this "sanity" mechanic, how good is the Realms of Cthulhu book? This is one of the options I'm exploring for a sourcebook purchase.

This is what I really love about the system - modest adjustments can be made to change the mood.
Which is great; this means I'll be able to use it for multiple genres. Which I really like.

SW plays in a narrower range of power than D&D 3.5. In D&D, you go from putz to god. In SW, you go from good to great. Since a player can make a pretty powerful combat PC at the start, the scale of the monster you can throw at them widens. PCs tend to grow in breathe vs. depth
Which is great - I like having varied options at game start, and I like D&D levels 3-8 better than levels 1-2 or 9+ anyway, so if its similar in play to low-mid-level fantasy this will fit right in with my preferences.

One thing you can do in this system is give the players some extras. They have their main PC (a wild) and extras to make sure they have the skills they need. Extras are fast and easy to run. I bet one on one can work very well - a PC Sgt and his squad of 4 or 6 extras.
This might not work very well for my hypothetical Isle of Dread/Lost game, though, of course, things could be changed a bit to allow this. For other settings this is just perfect - just think about running a whole gang in a post-apocalyptic game! :devil:

Also, make sure you get the 3rd printing. The second printing has binding issues (PEG will gladly replace, although I just got mine spiral bound and it is better in my opinion).
Are the copies being sold by Amazon or Take 2 of the third printing, or the second one?

At the end of the day, if you understand the shaken/wound system (there is a trick in it), how Bolt works, and using a machine gun then you have mastered the system. Those three concepts all have a mind-twister in it. All other mechanics are straight forward and fast.
What are the mind-twists in these mechanics? I understand that you can get enemies to be Shaken by various tricks, then you just need a Shaken hit to get them wounded, is that the twist?

5. the game is about the characters, not his gear.
I like it better that way ;)

Also I will also say that boss fights can get very grindy if you party doesn't know all the advanced tricks they can pull off.
Hmmm... Seems like I'll have to print the Combat Survival Sheet for the player(s)... :)

FWIW, their later PDF products (including the current version of SW:EE) use layers so you can easily toggle the backgrounds off for cleaner printing & use less ink. Of course, your PDF reader has to support that.
Does the latest Acrobat Reader support this?

---

Anyhow, I'm leaning more and more towards buying the Explorer's Edition and, possibly, one supplement; after all, with the core book costing a mere 10$ and shipping to me might cost almost as much, it might be worthwhile to add one additional book for no real increase in shipping cost.

Regarding the supplements, I'm undecided between Realms of Cthulhu, Hellfrost and the Fantasy Supplement; which is, in your opinion, more interesting to pick up?

Another question I have is about combat: how well does a hero (or a small group of heroes) fare against a larger group of (non-Wildcard) mooks? Do things go similarly to Conan mowing through a whole gang of lesser combatants, or will a gang of mooks be able to gang up on a hero and overrun him/her?

How well do tactics (cover, ambush and so on) work well under the SW rules?

And how interesting/cool/fun combat is? A problem I am having with BFRPG (which is a great ruleset, IMHO) is that magic is ULTRA-COOL (especially with creative players) but ordinary combat isn't that interesting.

coyote6

Adventurer
Does the latest Acrobat Reader support this?

Yes, definitely. IIRC, versions 7+ do; might be 8+, though.

Regarding supplements -- I'd pick Hellfrost. The Fantasy Companion is more generic, so I think Hellfrost is more interesting. OTOH, the FC is cheaper, and if you have your own ideas for a fantasy setting (or want to adapt an existing one), the FC would be better.

Note that I'm not so much of a Cthulhu person; every time I've played Cthulhu, it has turned into an action movie, and every time I see "Cthulhu is unbeatable", I want to see Jim Kirk go Kobayashi Maru on squidface. So I've come to suspect that Cthulhu per se is not my bag. :)

That said, I have the RoC PDF, and it is awesome. And supports a more pulpy action approach, too. But I'd go for HF or FC first.

Asmor

First Post
Hmmm... Aren't there Burst Templates that are supposed to be printed to a certain scale (based on inches IIRC)?

There are, but you can either scale them (a centimeter is about 40% of an inch) or just measure.

Personally, I played Savage Worlds on a grid, so I never measured anything...

usdmw

First Post
Recent convert to SW from a variety of other systems. While not as precise as GURPS or robust as HERO, SWEX is a very nice, simple universal system. While it might not be the BEST choice for a given genre, it is a good choice for nearly any genre.

Oh, one small correction: damage dice don't explode (or "Ace" as the game calls it), although the bonus +1d6 damage from a raise can explode/Ace.

Remove ads