• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First PHB ever sold is up for sale on ebay

Li Shenron

Legend
I didn't know who EBay works but this sniping sounds very frustrating. What would you think if instead of ending at a specific time, an EBay auction would work just like a normal auction i.e. it ends some time AFTER the last bid? That would eliminate sniping altogether.

Turjan

Explorer
tarchon said:
I almost never buy anything that somebody else bids on, since I've never seen anything go at auction for less than what I would have had to pay a dealer. Too many people get caught up in the competitive mentality and bid up just to "win" the auction.
That's what ebay lives on :D. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with bidding on articles that other people bid on - if there's less than 20 seconds left and you know what you want to pay ;).

MerakSpielman

First Post
reanjr said:
Don't try to throw reason into the online auction industry. You will be soundly beaten by emotion and overall illogical behavior of human beings trying to attain happiness or at least "a pretty good deal" through rampant consumerism.

If I had it, I'd be willing to bid about $1000 on this.
It has amused me in the past to observe used computer components be auctioned off for more than they cost at the discount stores online, new.

Larcen

Explorer
Anyone tell Col Pladoh yet? I would really like to know his thoughts on the matter. Hey, maybe I'll go check out his Q&A thread...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Less than a day and a half left and looks like Diaglo's bid capped out.

Hey, Diaglo, not going to bid any more or waiting for the right moment?

National Acrobat

First Post
Li Shenron said:
I didn't know who EBay works but this sniping sounds very frustrating. What would you think if instead of ending at a specific time, an EBay auction would work just like a normal auction i.e. it ends some time AFTER the last bid? That would eliminate sniping altogether.

You know what's really funny? Bidz.com has a different feature. Everytime a bid is placed with 30 seconds or left to go in an auction, the clock is reset for another 60 seconds, so theoretically you could bid an item's price way up.

Bidz.com also has a real-time clock on their auctions that adjusts everytime one of these auctions is extended.

Krieg

First Post
Larcen said:
Anyone tell Col Pladoh yet? I would really like to know his thoughts on the matter. Hey, maybe I'll go check out his Q&A thread...

Yep asked him yesterday in the Gary Gygax Q&A, Part VIII thread.

EGG's response...

Col_Pladoh said:
All I can say is that I know Tim Jardini. I'll send the URL of this thread to my son Ernie to see if he can confirm or deny the authenticity.

Cheers,
Gary

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads