• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) First playtest thread! One D&D Character Origins.

Paul3

Explorer
Obviously. But my point was also that I believe that kids in general have greater mental flexibility and stamina and thus, if something interests them, they can probably happily deal with more complexity...

If you believe that kids have more stamina today, I would suggest you haven't been around kids. We have bred a generation based on immediate gratification and short attention spans that result in them ping-ponging from one medium to another.

One of the best things about DnD and the board game hobby in general (that I feel we are slowly losing) is that in many games, it forced them to put down their tech and engage with each other for long stretches of time. Anyone that has played with kids can tell you that it was a rare opportunity for them to actually build stamina/longer attention spans. However, by and large, many are not coming to the table with this already built in. It just isn't how they have been raised.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
If you believe that kids have more stamina today, I would suggest you haven't been around kids. We have bred a generation based on immediate gratification and short attention spans that result in them ping-ponging from one medium to another.
I am a teacher, so I'm around kids all the time. For the past two years, I've been on leave, so - maybe - everything has changed in the meantime, but I somehow doubt it.

Paul3

Explorer
I am a teacher, so I'm around kids all the time. For the past two years, I've been on leave, so - maybe - everything has changed in the meantime, but I somehow doubt it.

Been teaching, coaching, parent for over 30 years, and I will stand by my statement. Go to a high school football game and see how many are on their phones (hint...basically all of them).

Vaalingrade

Legend
We have bred at least three generations who have just become sick and tired to the same (ironically) lazy slander and libel leveled at them as have been leveled at every generation of young people for hundreds of years and aren't taking it anymore.

One of the best things about DnD and the board game hobby in general (that I feel we are slowly losing) is that in many games, it forced them to put down their tech and engage with each other for long stretches of time. Anyone that has played with kids can tell you that it was a rare opportunity for them to actually build stamina/longer attention spans. However, by and large, many are not coming to the table with this already built in. It just isn't how they have been raised.
Like Gen X and Boomers aren't the same way. Get real.

Remove ads