• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First post, first game!

Stormsparrow

First Post
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on the Enworld forums, and I'm relatively new to the world of dungeons of dragons. I love the game, and it's become my favourite way to unwind from the stress of university.

At the moment, I'm very comfortable playing a character, and wouldn't normally undertake the task of running a game myself. My brother and his friends, however, have expressed repeated interest in playing. I don't know anyone back home who plays, and so they've asked me to run a game for them.

Being a creative writing student, I'd rather tell my own story than turn to published content.As a result, I've read the core books, along with Dungeon Master 4th edition for Dummies and some 3rd edition supplements.

I have a great story idea in mind, and a general plan of how the adventure would play out.

Before I put the effort in, however, I'd like to know if it is practical/feasible for a first time DM to start his career by making his own adventure? Am I getting myself in over my head?

Any advice?

Thanks!

FireLance

Legend
Hi Stormsparrow, and welcome to ENWorld! :)

Speaking as someone who started D&D by DMing self-created adventures for his younger brother (yes, I was a DM before I was a player), I think it's entirely feasible. ;)

One word of warning, though: the story you want to tell might not be the same as the story that your players want to tell. I would advise against getting too attached to the story and outcomes you have in mind, to the extent of making your players' decisions (and luck) irrelevant.

In addition, you might want to ask a moderator to slide this into the General forum, as you are likely to get more replies there. You can post a request in the Meta forum to do so.

Mesh Hong

First Post
From the sounds of it you have the right background and attitude in being able to run a game.

In many ways it is easier to run with your own material as you will understand the plot a lot better, and you have a lot more ownership of the world. When you run a published senario it can straight-jacket you into one way of thinking and if you stray from the published material (for any reason) it can cause continuity problems.

My main advise for a first time DM with a first time group is to start with a very simple situation/adventure. This will help everyone bed in and get a basic understanding of the rules and how to work as a team, it will also give you an insight into what sort of things interest your players.

From this simple beginning you can then build up the complexity and plot opportunities from there. The game should grow with your players, they might not be ready for high intrigue and political wrangling from the get go, they might be happy just killing a few goblins.

Try not to "plan" your whole story, just concentrate on the "chapter" you are currently in with one eye on the next. Try to remember that the D&D world is open ended and your players may want a different sort of story than you originally thought.

And most of all have fun! If you need any specific advice I am sure you will get plently of help (or at least opinions) here.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Welcome to ENworld!

I've moved this to General Discussion, as it isn't especially edition specific and deserves a wider audience.

Back in the early days most games started with someone being DM and sorting out their own adventures from scratch. By all accounts 4e is one of the easiest versions of the game to do this with (probably barring the very earliest versions, of course!).

I wouldn't worry about it, have fun with things. Personally I'd be inclined to start small and let things build from there.

Some classic DMs advice from earlier versions of the Dragon by Ray Winninger are still available out there somewhere, and for an interesting example of a beginning campaign by someone who really knows his stuff, check out http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...ommentary-pcats-d-d-4th-edition-campaign.html

Cheers

avin

First Post
Stormsparrow, from my experience some of the best campaigns start with a total new master, with fresh new ideas.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
If all else fails, you can all hop in a car, road trip down to Calgary and enjoy an open invite to my group! :)

But yeah, it sounds like you have everything good going your way to start your own adventure.

The best advice I can give is start things simple and rules-lite, and work your way up to more complicated rules. If done properly you don't even have to ignore rules in the book, just don't run things that bring them up.

Pbartender

First Post
Being a creative writing student, I'd rather tell my own story than turn to published content... ...I have a great story idea in mind, and a general plan of how the adventure would play out...

Any advice?

As FireLance said, just beware of those words "my story"... The players have a hand in this too. Look at DMing more as setting the scene, and presenting the conflicts in the plot. It's up to the players to figure out how to resolve those conflicts. Then, you can figure out the consequences of that resolution and present the next piece of action.

But you definitely need to give the players a chance to direct the outcome of the story through their actions, otherwise there's no point in having the players there and you might as well be writing a novel on your own.

Good Luck!

Some classic DMs advice from earlier versions of the Dragon by Ray Winninger are still available out there somewhere...

An archive Ray Winninger's essays can be found here.

D'karr

Adventurer
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post on the Enworld forums, and I'm relatively new to the world of dungeons of dragons. I love the game, and it's become my favourite way to unwind from the stress of university.

At the moment, I'm very comfortable playing a character, and wouldn't normally undertake the task of running a game myself. My brother and his friends, however, have expressed repeated interest in playing. I don't know anyone back home who plays, and so they've asked me to run a game for them.

Being a creative writing student, I'd rather tell my own story than turn to published content.As a result, I've read the core books, along with Dungeon Master 4th edition for Dummies and some 3rd edition supplements.

I have a great story idea in mind, and a general plan of how the adventure would play out.

Before I put the effort in, however, I'd like to know if it is practical/feasible for a first time DM to start his career by making his own adventure? Am I getting myself in over my head?

Any advice?

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to ENWorld!!! You'll have a great time here.

As I remember when I started DMing, I must say that creating your own adventures is much better, and rewarding than using somebody else's. However, what I found very helpful was to expand on the ideas of others first. This allowed me to be creative, but still have a safety net that I could rely on.

You are not getting in over your head. However if this is your first time, you definitely want to start small, or you might end up feeling overwhelmed. You might want to take a look at some short adventures, and use those as a springboard for your creativity.

Hey, if you have the DMG, there is already a sample adventure in the back, though it is arguable if it is the best example to highlight the good points about 4e...

Let the players explore, let them discover. That is what is really fun about this game. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and don't be afraid to improvise. When you improvise something keep track of it so you can give your "narrative" a consistent feel.

Keep the players on their toes, and above all have fun.

Good luck into your foray into the world of Dungeon Mastering.

Last edited:

Stormsparrow

First Post
First off, thanks for the great replies everyone! I'm sure I'll love it here if everyone is so helpful. Plane Sailing, thank you for moving the post to a more appropriate spot.

I absolutely understand what everyone is saying about letting the players create the story. What I like so much about D&D is the ability for a group of friends to create and share a communal story. As a result, I've only figured out the plot of the first adventure, and I've sort of created three possible endings based on choices the characters make. Once I've hammered out the details, I'll post a more fleshed out idea on the creation board.

I'll try to keep the first adventure simple. I'm going to make an encounter based map, with the movement of the characters determining plot development.

Lord Xtheth, I might actually take you up on your offer! I study at the University of Alberta (and that's where my group meets). My brother and his friends live with my parents in Calgary. While I'm still into running a game of my own, I certainly wouldn't mind having a group to play with when I'm visiting the family.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads