first time cleric needs to survive

Thanee

First Post
Nail said:
In our groups, we *require* everyone donate a small amount of the gained wealth so we can buy Wands of Lesser Vigor. It's absolutely required!

I wonder how people survived before Complete Divine (or Masters of the Wild). ;)

Bye
Thanee

Nail

First Post
billd91 said:
The travel domain's power won't help you in a grapple unless, for some reason, that grapple happens to be a magical effect.
Yep.

An easy mistake to make, thinking that it makes you immune to (mundane) grapple attempts. The cleric in my camapign thought that at first. I was happy to use an Improved Grab monster to show her otherwise.....

Nail

First Post
Thanee said:
I wonder how people survived before Complete Divine (or Masters of the Wild). ;)

Bye
Thanee
True. :lol:

Lesser Vigor, as a memorized spell, isn't so hot. Memorized spells are best saved for combat, and getting back 1 hp/round ain't all that good while in combat. ....but as an out-of-combat spell on a wand, it's excellent. Given a 750 gp wand (CL 1), you're paying only 1.4gp/hp, versus twice that (2.7gp/hp) for a CLW wand.

Nail

First Post
moritheil said:
My point was just that it is so well-known as to be normative.
Is "normative" the word you want? I'm thinking "infamous" might be far more appropriate. ;)

In all the early threads about DDM Persistant, I always saw the comment "....but I wouldn't allow it". I doubt that's changed for most groups. Doesn't the current poll show that?

pallandrome

First Post
He wasn't arguing that most groups wouldn't allow it, he was arguing that in every group that WOULD allow it, that is what the cleric would do. I agree with his assertion that the build is fairly common knowledge. What I disagreed with was the assertion that it was UNIVERSAL knowledge, and universally used where available (as indicated through his use of the word "everyone"). This may not be what he intended to say, but this is what he said.

kelson

First Post
well I went to the game last night. I think it went pretty well. My final build went something like this....

cleric 8/ combat medic 5

feats and ability's that I got from combat medic...
scribe scroll
augment healing
quicken
maximize
divine metamagic
sacred healing
craft wonderous item
combat casting
dodge
healing kicker (sanctuary, aid, reflex save)
defensive casting
field healer
mobility evasion
extra turningx2

domains=healing and good. (for the bonus caster lvls in the spells I will be casting most, and for rp purposes)

stats-
str-14
dex-8 (ouch I know)
con 16
int 12
wis 18 (+2 periapt of wisdom makes 20)
cha-13

equiptment

+3 full plate
+2 heavy wooden shield
+1 flaming heavy mace
+1 seeking heavy crossbow
+2 periapt of wisdom
bag o'holding type 2
various scrolls and misc items

skills...

concentration-16 ranks
heal- 16 ranks
knowledge (religion)- 16 ranks
spellcraft (divine)- 16 ranks

there were some house rules that show here.
1. there are way too many feats. partly this is because there are combat medic abilitys listed in with them but there actualy are 6 more feats than there should be. our dm gives us a few ecl points to spend as we see fit from a chart he keeps on his website. I spent all of mine on feats. I think that was a good way to go since clerics dont get many. but I definatly need to get something that will raise my dex.... I had to put the 8 somewhere and I would only have gotten 16 skill points total with it in my int...

2. spellcraft is divided into 2 catagorys, arcane and divine. logical here.

3. dmm persistant is not allowed.

4. I am not sure if this is a house rule or I just misunderstood earlyer, but you must take the metamagic feats, AND the DMM feat. 3 feats necissary. seemed fair to me.

thats it... my character that will probably suck. most of the time they do, but its still a blast!

Remove ads