• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First time DM campaign diary

Ransom

First Post
So I'm throwing my hat into the world of DMing.

I'm starting the campaign with very inexperienced players. Majority have never played before.

I'm going to try and keep things simple but change up some things a bit.

I want to make Giants a little more civilized, higher int and cha but maintain some of their strenght bonus. (Any help with this would be appreciated)

I'm not very good at modifying monsters and figuring out the new CR.

I've come up with the BBEG, and seeing as the PC's will be 1st or 2nd level to start I'm hoping it will take several encounters and many sessions before they defeat him.

Also suggestions on where to find a cool map would be great.

Thanx

~Ransom

Ransom

First Post
Bbeg

Here is the proposed BBEG:

Limbrender
Large Giant/Despot 3
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 + 3d10+12 (102 + 27 = 129)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 30 ft. in hide armor (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +9 natural, +3 hide armor), touch 8, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+27
Attack: Large Greatsword +17 (3d6 19-20 x2) or Large Greatclub +17 (2d8 20 x2)
Face/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing, Smite Chaos 1/day, Detect Chaos
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, rock catching, Aura of Law, Divine Grace, Slippery Mind, Aura of Fear, Indomitable Will
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +4, Will +7
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 8, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +7, Jump +7, Listen +3, Spot +6, Bluff +8, Intimidate +10, Sense Motive +2
Feats: Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Improved Sunder, Weapon Focus (greatclub), Weapon Focus (Greatsword), Persuasive
Challenge Rating: 10
Languages: Giant, Common

Limbrender is 10' 6" weighs 1,200lbs and is 107 years old.

Rock Throwing (Ex): The range increment is 120 feet for a hill giant's thrown rocks.

Smite Chaos (Su): Add Cha to attack and +1/despot level damage

Detect Chaos (Sp): At will Limbrender can Detect Chaos as the spell

Aura of Law: Limbrenders Aura of Law is equal to his Despot level

Divine Grace (Su): Limbrender adds his Charisma bonus to all saves

Slippery Mind (Ex): Limbrender has a powerful sense of self and free will, and his mind fights much harder against magical control than most minds. If Limbrender is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt to throw again 1 round later to break free of the effect. Failing this second throw does not grant further saving throws.

Aura of Fear (Su): Limbrender exudes an almost palpable aura of menace and evil. Each enemy within 10ft suffers a -4 morale penalty on saving throws against fear Limbrender is deadened to to the emotion of fear, and is immune to all fear effects. This ability functions as long as Limbrender is concious. Limbrender can suppress or activate this aura as a free action.

Indomitable Will (Su): Limbrenders mind has become an unassailable fortress of ego. He is immune to all spells of the charm subschool.

I'm thinking of changing Giants natural armor to +4 ish, I want to change his armor and make his weapon magical but I don't want him much higher than CR 10.

Btw Despot is from Dragon #312

~Ransom

Ransom

First Post
How about that, just when you think you have things figured out your girlfriend walks in and gives you the Dragonlance Campaign setting....

Euthanus

First Post
Ransom said:
How about that, just when you think you have things figured out your girlfriend walks in and gives you the Dragonlance Campaign setting....

Then you can use or a little modify those high ogres (they are pretty cool imho) and seem to fit you idea

Ransom

First Post
Hey great idea! I was thinking of a Knight of Neraka but I've always loved the Irda...
*The wheels slowly start grinding again*

Ransom

First Post
Being a low level campaign and realizing that there is a wizard in my crew, I got thinking that means he'll have to take the Test.

A wizard takes the Test (i.e joins the Order of High sorcery) When he can cast spells of 2nd level, has spell focus (any), any 2 metamagic/item creation feats, 7 or 8 spellcraft (I forget)

The test is supposed to be three challenges put forth by the three heads of the Order of High Sorcery.
The Wizard should cast every spell he knows once, at least one challenge may not even be magical in nature and require the wizard use his wits, one challenge should involve one of the wizards friends to turn on him/become a rival, and the wizard should face a lethal obstacle of his around his CR.

Passing the test allows the wizard to learn 3rd level and higher spells and gives him the Wizard of High Order Prestige class. (If he learns 3rd level spells without this class he is deemed a renegade and hunted down)

Knowing how creative Enworlders are I was hoping we could come up with some awesome ideas for the Test perhaps even future Tests if I end up with more wizards.

Remove ads