First time going to GenCon- need advice/tips/etc.

Great advice so far! A few tips on hotel and accommodations and your stay in Indy pre- & post-con.

1) The swag bag idea is awesome, make sure that you empty it every evening. Seems like a simple no-brainer but after three days of carrying 201 pounds of junk around, you realize rational thought and con thought are two very separate and distinct animal.s

2) Divide and conquer - your itinerary. Having to wait to register isn't all bad, but you won't get a handle on things until you are there - take time to make a plan and try to stick to it. Prioritize it so if two things overlap you know which one to ditch first.

3) Meet and greet the ENworlders. I now have some of my best yearly occasional friends thanks to GenCon. I look forward to running into to certain faces every year. Also, it's nice to put a face with a handle.

4) Make time for the ENnies. It's nice to see a social setting at GenCon that's all about games but has nothing to do with con mentality. It's the Oscar's and Emmy's of gaming and it is a dress-up gala affair. Also its a great chance to rub elbows with fellow ENworlders and industry professionals, who knows who you might end up sitting with.

5) Stay hydrated and well-fed. Soda and beer are awesome, they don't however keep you hydrated, dehydration can lead to headaches, diarrhea, weakness and general malaise. Drink plenty of water and stave off the brain cramps. Likewise, hunger can lead to incoherent thought, not a good thing when deciding whether to bluff the troll or take it on with your +2 wet noodle of stupidity...

6) Have a great time! Sounds simple but too many people try and MAKE GenCon great instead of letting GenCon BE great. My first year I played in two games and had a pick-up run through at True Dungeon, the rest of the time I wandered around and did things on the fly. I had a great time, because I didn't try to have a good time. I suggest you do the same.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Just don't over schedule yourself. There is so much to see and do it is very easy to get overwhelmed there.

Thirded. Unless you have been to something like ComicCon you will be overwhelmed. This is not a bad thing but just the way it is. There is no way to do everything like there is at smaller cons. It will take at least 3-4 Gen Cons before you can begin to say you have done all the must do events. This is why you shouldn't overshedule yourself. Pick 1-2 things a day that you are really really interested in and only schedule those, don't worry though because you will find more than enough to fill the rest of the time.

As for the dealer hall a half day is only enough to make one run through. If you want you can spend 2 days in the dealer hall alone just playing demos and spending quality time at the booths. The dealer hall is huge, I figured it out once that there is over a mile of booths to walk by. Be prepared for exercise, I walk 2 miles a day just so that I am in shape for Gen Con. Nothing sucks more than reaching day 2 and being unable to walk anymore.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
6) Have a great time! Sounds simple but too many people try and MAKE GenCon great instead of letting GenCon BE great. My first year I played in two games and had a pick-up run through at True Dungeon, the rest of the time I wandered around and did things on the fly. I had a great time, because I didn't try to have a good time. I suggest you do the same.

Bingo.

In seven years of GenCon, I've not once pre-registered for an event.

Chaldfont

First Post
GENCON!!!!!

There are tons of great places to eat in downtown Indy. The Ram, of course, is a place you must go. They cater to the gamers. I had lunch there today and the servers are already talking about it.

They usually brew up a special beer just for the con. They wouldn't tell me today what it will be, but I should be able to pry it out of the brewer Saturday at the Indiana Brewer's Guild Microbrewfest.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Rel's Guide to Having Fun at GenCon:

1) Overschedule the hell out of yourself. Try to leave no more than half an hour between games. When you have to sprint from one game to the next, you can count that as your workout! REL TIP: You can also lose weight and save money by not leaving time to eat!

2) Make sure to drink plenty of alcohol every night and plenty of coffee and soda every day. REL TIP: These empty calories can help replace any that you lose from not eating! This is the best way to deal with...

3) Sleep almost none. That's what the plane ride home is for. Remember, ever moment you are sleeping is a moment that you are not having fun with fellow gamers. REL TIP: Not sleeping is also a good way to avoid those awkward moments when you wake up spooning the guy you agreed to share a room with. Especially make sure you miss sleep for...

4) The strip club. Get together at least one, possibly two nights with your buddies and head to the strip club. Only at GenCon can you see a fellow strip club attendee in a kilt! Also marvel at the strippers who will tell you that they are gamers too because their little brother plays WoW. REL TIP: Don't spend more than your mortgage payment each night at the strip club.

5) Don't spend too much money in the Dealer Hall. This leaves more money to spend at the strip club. In fact, you don't want to have to lug around a bunch of swag, mostly in the form of free booster packs from some collectable card game that you're never going to collect. Best to just stay out of the Dealer Hall as much as possible. REL TIP: However DO make time to stop by the Expeditious Retreat Press booth and flirt with Suzi. She's a hottie.

6) Make time to go to the ENnies. The awards are cool and all, but mainly you're there to see the various publishers and authors get squiffy. When they are drunk, rivalries surface, heated words are exchanged and drama unfolds. Don't miss it! REL TIP: If possible, get your picture taken with Sue Cook. Also a hottie.

7) Stay at the Embassy Suites if at all possible. That's where all the cool people are. If you hear loud noises coming from high above the lobby, come on up and join the party. REL TIP: Don't do this if you owe Morrus a lot of money and have no intentions of paying it. It's a long drop from the 14th floor to the lobby below.

Follow those rules and I guarantee that you'll remember having a good time right after you take a week off to recover.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Since some first-timers are going to be reading this thread, I'll post this link here. Last here, I did a bunch of reviews of downtown Indianapolis restaurants at OYT. They're still valid this year.

Restaurant Reviews at OYT

JediSoth

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
<SNIP>
6) Make time to go to the ENnies. The awards are cool and all, but mainly you're there to see the various publishers and authors get squiffy. When they are drunk, rivalries surface, heated words are exchanged and drama unfolds. Don't miss it! REL TIP: If possible, get your picture taken with Sue Cook. Also a hottie.

<SNIP>

Unfortunately, Monte and Sue won't be making it to the Con this year. Nevertheless, it's a good tip!

JediSoth

Poet22

Explorer
More Advice

Our group has been attending GenCon for almost a decade now and we use it as a "Guys Weekend" away from our families. We tend to focus on the Vendor Hall more than anything else and then game at night back in our hotel. It's a great time. Here are some thoughts:

1. If you've got transportation, you can stay in the Indianapolis area and drive in, often saving money on your hotel. More money means more purchases later.

2. We actually try to see every booth in the Vendor Hall. However, don't try to do this in one day! You'll just end up exhausted, sore, and frustrated.

3. Don't dismiss Sunday. Often, retailers will discount certain items in the last few hours of the Con. At the same time, they can also sell out of items by Friday. Grab the hot stuff first and then look for bargains on Sunday.

4. Backpacks are essential, as are water bottles and snacks.

5. Take time for lunch. Get outside for some sun, fresh air, and better food than what is in the convention center.

6. Try the demos. It's a great way of learning a new game and getting free stuff.

7. Paint miniatures. Take time for the Paint and Take. It'll give your feet a rest and a figure to use that night!

8. Bring a camera. You'll want to take pictures of the costumes, dioramas, and chainmail bikinis.

9. If you are with a group, bring a means of communication, either phone or walkie-talkies. That way, you can "split the party" and everyone can move at their own pace.

10. Have fun! I echo what others have said: just soak in the glory that is GenCon!

Remove ads