• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First time in the modern world.

The Edge

First Post
I’ve never done a modern or future game before, but am interested in finding a good system to use. I don’t know much of what’s available. My idea is to find an appropriate rule set to use with my own future type setting. I know I’m being a bit unspecific, so ask what you need.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

Stormborn

Explorer
If you are used to playing DnD: d20 Modern (which is available in MSRD form from the WotC site, mostly)+ whatever is most appropriate for your setting from d20 Future, d20 Apaocalypse, or d20 Cyperscape.
This one has the benifiit of beign a standard due to the MSRD and as such there are lots of supplements for a variety of genres both official and otherwise. If you are looking for pdf supplements you can't go wrong with anything titled "Blood and...." Or anything from the Game Mechanics.

If you want lots of cutting edge espionage action: Spycraft 2.0 (actually you might still want the d20M stuff to add in some future tech)

If you don't really care so much about system but want interesting characters to roleplay but which do not really change over time: GURPS 4th ed with appropriate supplements.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
If you don't mind using a non-D20 game, I can recommend the World of Darkness from White Wolf Publishing. While it is mainly a horror game, it can easily be used in most genres. it is mainly a modern game, but can be relatively easily modified for use in more futuristic games.

Another recommended system is Tri-Stat dX. While more anime orientated, it can easily be used in all genres. It is free and can be downloaded here.

takyris

First Post
Second everything mentioned here so far. Personally, I use d20 Modern, but that's because my group switched to a modern-day campaign after playing D&D for three years. Convincing them to learn a new system would have been tough, but convincing them to learn a few rules changes and read up on how the new classes work was pretty easy.

For espionage-oriented campagins, Spycraft is very good, though.

Stormborn

Explorer
TheLostSoul said:
If you don't mind using a non-D20 game, I can recommend the World of Darkness from White Wolf Publishing. While it is mainly a horror game, it can easily be used in most genres. it is mainly a modern game, but can be relatively easily modified for use in more futuristic games.

Another recommended system is Tri-Stat dX. While more anime orientated, it can easily be used in all genres. It is free and can be downloaded here.

Oh yeah. I own both of these, but since i have never played them I forget. The big boon to the nWoD is that there is a very nice core book that will allow you to play a game that has nothing to do with the Vampire/Werewolf/Mage tropes that White Wolf is known for. I bought it thinking about using it to run a ghost hunters type game that never materialized, but to that end also picked up the very nice Ghost Stories collectionof adventures.

Let us know what kind of campaign you are thinking of Edge and we can narrow things down.

Iron_Chef

First Post
Star Wars d20 is great for space fantasy, with or without the setting. Plus, you really only need one book to run it: the Revised Core Rulebook (a $40 combination Player's Handbook/DMG/Monster Manual). Unfortunately, most of the books except the RCR are out of print now. :(

The Edge

First Post
Thanks for the replys.

I think D20 modern sounds good, but then again im probably just saying that because ive done DnD, but still.

As for the campain, first I'll explain a bit of why.

Its kind of an old dream I had from my early school years. Me and a friend, Tom, used to play out little adventures in our imagination (surely looking quite weird as we did, but anyway) based in this world we had made. Like many do, I said I would turn it into a computer game some day. half way through school Tom and I got split up (dif school, new homes etc) and didnt see each other untill about two years back. Of couse the days of running around the field and dodgeing asteroids (annoyed football players :heh: ) were over, but I continued to develop the world in my head. All the time I saw things that would give me an idea and, Bang! That funny chair is now a space station. Over the years Id say my little universe has become quite developed (and is still going), with new ideas and also countless cliches worked in and then out again later when I realised how stupid they seemed. But all this was happening without Tom, so when we met up again it just wasnt his anymore, he'd mostly forgoten it and not done the same as me. I realised a great way to relive the old game would be as PnP RPG, I could let Tom explore my world that way, with only the most mundane knowledge of it, just as his character would. Also it would be a chance to go into developing the setting in more detail and a more personal scale than I had before.

The setting its self is obviously a big thing to explain, but in brief its a far future world, Sci-fi i guess, Im just reluctant to put that label on it. Far reaching and fast space travel is possible, and quite widely availible. futuristic weapon are all over, although the good old bullet can still be put to use. There are multiple power centres and races, Includeing a looming threat or two. Ive developed a colection of planets. The world doesn't have super high tech, for example no teleportation, grav lift type things, energy bridges, uber matter manipulation, etc; but cloaking, shields, artifical gravity, hover craft exist (all with certain limits), and there is always new things as yet not understood. I kept a certain amount of grittyness to the world, but not too much. No magic or psy etc.

That should do it. My idea so far is for the player to start on a outer planet, with a distance between the centres of the main societys. But provided he can find a way, he can get there, do that, and get the t-shirt.

Remove ads