• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

First Wizard build and story help?

Neat stuff. Good thoughts put in there.

From the perspective of a DM, I’d like to see more character hooks and potential NPCs. School friends and rivals. People she might have known, such as the Madame of her mother’s brothel.

The character’s goals are also nice. Why are they adventuring rather than taking a quiet job at a library? What do they want to spend their treasure on? What are they afraid of?
What would they do if they found 10,000 gp? What would they ask for if they got a wish from a genie?

Those are a lot of excellent questions ty.

I'll give them a ponder but here are some quick responses.

Defenitely adding in a rival character, I'll roll randomly to determine tbings, but they will be a noble. My DM is planning on using her father extensively.

I think that her reason is more or less wander lust. She's never extensively been out of the city.

10,000 gold- she'd probably spend it on sometbing academi. And with a wish spell she'd probably wish her mother back.

jgsugden

Legend
When you play D&D you tell a story, but you do not do it by yourself. The DM and the players do it together.

I might suggest going to the DM with the outline of the origin story and talking it out with the DM. Let them introduce some story elements (especially ones that fit in with the campaign tale they may wish to tell), and make it a shared journey.

This approach has a few advantages:

1.) The DM can weave elements of your origin into his adventures, and place foreshadowing of his adventures into your origin.
2.) The DM will be more invested in your character's story, which will make it easier for him to consider it as the story evolves. If you create a fun origin for your PC, but the DM forgets it, it won't mean much in the long run.

aco175

Legend
I like the backstory and thought put into that. I hope the DM ties some of it in with the father and tracking down the mother's killer.

I don't like having 18 in Dex and Int at first level, as well as another pair of 14s. Seems powerful, but that is just me.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
So, she was hung from a tree? Does that mean she has rope burn scars from the event? Does she wear the noose or is it just a memento she keeps in her pack? I also notice a lack of a physical description, how would a random person on the street describe her?

As for the build: I would go with Toll the Dead instead of Firebolt. It's a more "creepy" spell, that invokes the themes of judgement and fate. It would fit this character like a glove.

So, she was hung from a tree? Does that mean she has rope burn scars from the event? Does she wear the noose or is it just a memento she keeps in her pack? I also notice a lack of a physical description, how would a random person on the street describe her?

As for the build: I would go with Toll the Dead instead of Firebolt. It's a more "creepy" spell, that invokes the themes of judgement and fate. It would fit this character like a glove.

Yes but faint. Memento. Will add. And I'll take a look

I like the backstory and thought put into that. I hope the DM ties some of it in with the father and tracking down the mother's killer.

I don't like having 18 in Dex and Int at first level, as well as another pair of 14s. Seems powerful, but that is just me.

Dm did 2d6+6. He's signed off on the stats.

Buuut- I get you.

Remove ads