• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fish & Chips

Eternalknight

First Post
A question for the Americans (and anyone else who isn't an Aussie).

In Oz, we have 'fish and chip' shops; basically these are small shops, often situated away from the main business district, that sells take away food; most commonly things like deep-fried fish, chips (fries), dim sims, potato cakes, spring rolls and hamburgers. These shops are independantly owned and are not part of a larger chain. They are not like McDonalds where you can go in and sit down for a meal; most of the time they are lucky to have one or two tables.

Does anything like this exist in America?

nick

First Post
I don't think deep fried fish is that popular here in North America. Here in Winnipeg we have a local shop that has no indoor seating, but sells some of the best hamburgers and french fries I've had. I'm actually heading there later tonight :D Other than burgers and fries, it also sells ice cream/milkshakes. Not the healthiest place to eat, but the food is GOOD.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Eternalknight said:
A question for the Americans (and anyone else who isn't an Aussie).

In Oz, we have 'fish and chip' shops; basically these are small shops, often situated away from the main business district, that sells take away food; most commonly things like deep-fried fish, chips (fries), dim sims, potato cakes, spring rolls and hamburgers. These shops are independantly owned and are not part of a larger chain. They are not like McDonalds where you can go in and sit down for a meal; most of the time they are lucky to have one or two tables.

Does anything like this exist in America?
Yep, there's a fish & chips stand in my town called "Daley Freez". They are best-known for their fish & chips (which are so popular that people from neighboring towns drive over just to eat there), but they also sell hamburgers, fish sandwiches, hot dogs, corn dogs, chicken strips, shakes, etc. It's strictly a take-out joint, but they do have a couple of nearby outdoor tables that can be used during the warmer months of the year.

Torm

Explorer
In Missouri where I used to live, here in South Carolina, and in towns I've been in in North Carolina, there are independently owned walk up restaurants that are similar to what you are talking about: fried chicken strips, sometimes fried fish, hot dogs and hamburgers, fries, cheesesticks, bbq pork sandwiches, and so on. And usually about 4 to 40 varieties of ice cream and milkshakes. If they have any seating, it's a few outdoor tables set off to one side.

One of my favorites of these is 'Dairy Isle' in Greenfield, MO, where my dad lives. They have the fried "squeek" cheese that has been discussed in another recent thread here. :)

Torm

Explorer
Dark Jezter said:
Yep, there's a fish & chips stand in my town called "Daley Freez".
"Daley Freez", "Dairy Isle", etc. - another thing to note is that, at least from what I've seen, a LOT of these places seem to have names that are reminiscent of "Dairy Queen", which if you aren't familiar is a national chain that generally carries a similar fare, but usually DOES have indoor seating and a more "normal fast food restaurant feel".

Cabled

First Post
Yes, but not many

IN my hometown we have one that's been there for generations. Has no indoor seating at all, it's really just a kitchen but in the summer when the weather's nice they put out some picnic tables around the place. Having said that, it's the only place like it I know of for at least a day's drive in any direction.

Yes, but the food varies based on the location:

When I was living in Southern Oregon, there were lots of little shacks where I could get fresh crab, oysters, and clams... which is similar, but with local fare.

In South Dakota, smaller towns have "Drive Ins" which have limited seating and serve standard South Dakota fare (hamburgers, hotdogs, turkeyburgers) and ice cream.

In the DC area - where I live now - I've experienced lots of places like this, but with a wide variety of foods. The ones I see most commonly offer Mediterranean food.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
We have a few of these, but they don't serve fish. Burgers, hot dogs, maybe brats or Italian sausage w/ peppers are typically what you can get at a place like this. There are also a few taco stands that only offer drive-up service. There are more of these mom & pop take-out food places in big cities like Chicago than in smaller midwestern cities.

Remove ads