Five Foods to Celebrate Your Formative Years

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Imagine there's a cookbook being made, and you get to give five recipes to signify the foods at home that influenced you growing up and make some sort of contribution to cuisine. (Where influenced, at home, growing up, and contribution are taken with maximum latitude).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The five I'd enter are:
  • My Mom's Lasagna
  • My Aunt's Grasshopper Pie (Grasshopper as in the drink with Crème de cacao and Crème de menthe)
  • My Mom's Chocolate Fudge (I finally realized I could have her enter it in the county fair, and then stupid COVID-19 hit)
  • Strawberry Pretzel Salad (it has salad in the name so you can eat it with the meal and not as dessert, and you want to)
  • Burger Bean Cups (Warning people away is a contribution, right? I wouldn't eat them, but it feels like they should be there as a form of evidence; much of my formative food experience was very much a product of the post-WWII scary middle American recipes pawned off by various food companies. I still don't totally believe my dad actually really likes them.)

1657570295245.png

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Grandma’s fruitcake
My mum’s mince and rice (not a recommendation)
Sausage, baked beans, and mashed potato, my favourite meal as a kid
Cream teas (Devon not Cornwall)
School puddings (apple pie and custard, jam rolly polly and custard, spotted dick and custard, the common theme is custard)

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Mom's peach cobbler
Mom's chicken & dumplings
Granny's dark chocolate brownies with pecans
Dad's cherry crumble
Peanut butter & chocolate no-bake cookies

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We weren't exactly well off and pretty much got to eat what my father didn't drink. It would be a pretty boring list:

Kraft Dinner
Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup (mix) and cheese sandwich
Hot Dogs
Newfie Steak (fried bologna)
Home Made Sugar Doughnuts

I haven't thought of the Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup in ages. I always had grilled bologna and mustard sandwiches instead of grilled cheese.

Dad's Hot Dagos (though its time to change the name)
I had to google that. Italian sausage patty with marinara, cheese, and maybe pepperoncini? That sounds really good (food, not name, wise).

Zardnaar

Legend
Only 5? Generally you get gifted this at some point and it's been around 100+ years.

Party like it's 1908.

Probably explains why bakeries are still selling the traditional stuff since days of empire.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tough question for me, because I’ve been cooking since I was 7 or 8, and there’s a LOT I do very well. But remembering WHEN I learned to truly appreciate and cook certain dishes is problematic.

The recipes from my youth that I cook:

Gumbo*
Grilled Ham & Cheese with tomato soup
Pie Blitz
Red Beans & rice
Omelettes

The dishes that I get in restaurants, and I may or may not cook authentically, but definitely have an outsize importance to my culinary mindset:

Schnizel
Hungarian Goulash
Shrimp Fried Rice
Garlic Cole Slaw
Shrimp Dip
Crispy Vegetarian Egg Rolls
Pho
Linguine with White Clam sauce
Clam Chowder (white)

* especially using our family’s own hot sausage

Remove ads