• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Five things that would change the game forever

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I wouldn't mind see an option for a classless system... That said I doubt it will ever happen and as I said just an option cause I’m not sure it would work well.

Sejs

First Post
Humanophile said:
It stopped being D&D when they got rid of size-based weapon damage, proficiencies, and THAC0.

It stopped being D&D when they made elf a race instead of a class.

akchf

First Post
A lot of people are suggesting a class-less system, but I think I would rather keep the classes and drop the level systems and make it a more natural advancement based (skill buying like Decipher's LotR) with unique abilities still available to the diff classes.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like levels and classes; they're very helpful for DMs. That's not to say I wouldn't also like to see "generic" classes with lots of options at each level. I have no problem with skills and feats as they are. I wouldn't mind grittier options for hit points, I'd like to see more robust combat actions delineated, and I wouldn't mind seeing the spell list universalized, but overall D&D is pretty good the way it is.

LightPhoenix

First Post
1) Alignment. I'm not in favor of getting rid of alignment, but rather making it a little bit more robust. After all, D&D at it's core is a game of good versus evil, and removing that aspect from the game lessens it, IMO. However, I'd like to see something along the lines of D20 Modern allegiances, where alignment is a bit more open-ended and flavorful.

2) Classes/Classlessness. How's that for double-s's in a row? :p I'm also not in favor of a classless D20/D&D. Classes are what make D&D what it is, and removing that makes it just another classless system. I do like the idea of more generic classes, and especially with the feat system, moving class abilities (except spellcasting) over to be feats. Especially with regards to prestige classes.

3) Spells. I'm definitely in the camp that would like to see spellcasting merged into one coherent whole. It's what I hope they work on the most for 4E, when they make it. Metamagic is a good idea implemented poorly, I think. Spell slots are too much a strait-jacket, IMO. There needs to be clear delineation of what each spell school does, especially with regards to Evocation, Conjuration, and Necromancy.

4) This is a minor one, but I'd change around the energy categories a bit. Fire would stay, but add Water (and Cold as a subset), Air/Wind (possibly with Force as a subset), and Earth. Keep Sonic and possibly Force, add Holy (and Unholy, but see below). Acid would be Water and/or Earth. Add Lightning/Electricity/Energy, name however you like. That would be 7-9 categories, which I think would cover most everything.

5) Another minor one, but I'd like less of a delineation between Holy and Unholy, especially with regards to Clerics and Paladins. Yes, I know I said in point one above that D&D is a game of good versus evil. However, IMO all god-granted abilities are "holy". Paladins should be holy-warriors, in that they fight for a certain god, whether good or evil. Divine magic is "holy", since it's the channeled power of a god, whether it's an evil one or a good.

6) Ninja Wizards.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Emirikol said:
Now that we're going on year 5, it's time to bring up the big pointless rules things that could change D&D forever. I consider these the largest and most pointless things about the game that D&D has faced since growing out of 1E:

1) Alignment is eliminated once and for all
2) Ability scores are no longer numbers but simply bonuses
3) All spells, songs, and psionics are simply arcane magic (i.e. god's do not grant spells, magic is just magic)
4) Skills fall into one of 12 categories instead of the oppressive number that's out there now
5) Every prestige class can also be a core class

Without being a house-rule's post, any other thoughts?

jh

1) Check out Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed. I think it eliminates alignment.
2) Check out Blue Rose.
3) Check out Unearthed Arcana. They have 3 classes, one being the spellcaster. There is a divine and arcane variant, but they are so close you can eliminate the divine variant (just change the requirements on the turn undead feat).
4) I think there are "simple skill systems" out there in d20 land. Not sure if they get it down to 12, though. Wow, the Rogue or Scout would rock in that system! Actually, now I think of it, Castles & Crusades does this in an odd way, since anything that is not a class ability is either impossible or a simple ability check.
5) Uh...unless you sharply limit what prestige classes are allowed in your game, this is gonna create a LOT of work for you. There are HUNDREDS of prestige classes. But I have heard of Assassin and Blackguard base classes.

Myself, I prefer D&D without the 5 changes you mentioned mostly. But I think skills could be somewhat reduced, and that the Assassin would make a cool base class (a la 1st edition, or Castles and Crusades).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads