Fix for Boost

Bront

The man with the probe
Boost needs to be fixed. Right now, it's way too abusable, and as much as a player I'm enjoying it, a good example is what is going on in Help Wanted, where every character has +10 to their physical atributes, normaly a 72 point power, that only was purchased for 2 points and is not prohibiting the use of any other power. (Not trying to pick on you Erekose13)

So, what is a good way to fix this? My thought, after talking with someone else, is to change the effect so that boost only works as long as you have the power as your active power. If you change over to another power in the array, the effects cease immediately, just like it was a force field or mind control.

However, I'd like to open this up for discussion.

Bront

The man with the probe
It's fine for the most part as an individual power, it's when it's an alternate power that's it's mostly broken.

Good - Hulk's "Hulking" part of boost. (A power into itself)
Bad - Any use of Boost that allows you to do something else afterward with the power points WHILE the Boost is in effect.

Salix

First Post
Bront said:
Boost needs to be fixed. Right now, it's way too abusable, and as much as a player I'm enjoying it, a good example is what is going on in Help Wanted, where every character has +10 to their physical atributes, normaly a 72 point power, that only was purchased for 2 points and is not prohibiting the use of any other power. (Not trying to pick on you Erekose13)

So, what is a good way to fix this? My thought, after talking with someone else, is to change the effect so that boost only works as long as you have the power as your active power. If you change over to another power in the array, the effects cease immediately, just like it was a force field or mind control.

However, I'd like to open this up for discussion.

I think that's a very good point.I like what you've suggested so far, but I would like to research any other ideas I can get off the Atomic Think Tank. Any ideas we can at least kick around a bit would be good. Most people on that site seem to agree that it is at least slightly broken. I was wondering what Erekose13 thought since he's the one likely to feel the fallout.

Bront

The man with the probe
The book even states it can be abused and is broken in some situations, and I've already been tough on it, but it seems I may have been too lenient as well. So hard rules would fix it without changing anything else.

hero4hire

Explorer
Honestly it really has had no effect on the game really. My character was alreasdy capped out for Damage and Toughness. With the PL caps in place the only effect it had was on my carrying capacity.

Now if you see a character who has Personal Boost to all Physical attributes that has Slow Fade applied to it so it never fades away....To make a combat monster, Just to save points! That is abuse. So far I dont think in Erekose's case it did much.

So basically it seems like a character creation approval issue.

Velmont

First Post
I've been thinking of it, and I've looked at Salix link. Here where is my thinking for now:

Yes, the power is broken. I think Erekose13 build is among the more abusive possibilities. (Take no offence Erekose13, the idea fits well your concept.) I was looking at that thread on ATT. It explain Drain, which is the reverse of Boost essentially. I have many suggestion on how to fix it, but no one seems THE solution to me:

1. Boost is Personal by default. The Affect other extra cannot be applied to it. The super with this power, can, with the expenditure of a HP, affect someone else.

2. Total Fade cannot be applied.

3. Slow Fade cannot be applied or is limited.

4. The number of PP gain through boost can only be distribute among the different power that should be affected, not given to each power. (The number of PP avalaible can be modified so it equal to the basic cost per rank multiply by the number of rank, not only 1 PP per rank, to not lose interest with higher cost Boost.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
I think Boost is probably fair if and only if you make them pay for it while the effects remain, instead of getting a gigantic boost for only 1 PP due to alternates and then having it up at all times while using the alternates. Remember, Boost does not have the [Lasting] descriptor in its duration, so it should be perfectable acceptable to say that the moment you activate any other power in the array, the Boost fades completely from all of its beneficiaries.

Remove ads