• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fix for Craft Skill

Spatzimaus

First Post
(a bit long)

I was trying to overhaul Craft skills, too, because of the Fabricate power/spell (which in its written form lets you make Crafted items instantly). The problem was, well, look at swords. A masterwork one is DC 20. So, thanks to that spell, I could take a block of Adamantite and instantly make a nice sword just by Taking 10, if I had enough skill ranks to get a +10 bonus. Or Mithril, or Flowstone, or Gartine, or whatever other material you can think of, it's all DC 20.

I don't think the problem is crafting time, it's that the core rules don't handle exotic materials well. On this board about a year ago, we came up with a nice system for materials. Basically, each type of metal had its own DC modifier, cost multiplier, etc. Let's say I wanted to make a Mithril Longsword. Take the base DC for the sword (let's say 17; use the numbers in the PHB but tweak a few), add the Mithril DC modifier (+6), and it's now DC 23. Mithril might have a Cost Multiplier of 30, so now you can use the existing rules. "Masterwork" can either be just a name for anything Fine Steel or better, or you could add it as a Quality modifier (DC+3, cost higher) and say that magical items need Masterwork Quality.

But you were also talking about more complex stuff, like Shipbuilding. There, I think the solution is just a lot of synergy bonuses. Craft: Tailor? Sure, also carpenter or blacksmith. Profession: Sailor, Knowledge: Engineering, whatever you can reasonably justify as being useful. If they have 1-3 ranks give them a +1, if they have 4-9 give a +2, 10 or more gives a +3. It'll add up.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Altman said:

That however is something I'm quite willing to leave to my fellow GM's... The thing I'm more concerned with is making the craft skill itself function in a more reasonable way. I've made chain mail in the past, and while forging the rings takes a while, "weaving it" is actually quite easy, and the 30-40 weeks it was taking a character to build one is insane...and seems to be the same problem with other things too.

But there we are...thanks for the input.

Well there is something of a question of starting point, and how much of a persons time is devoted to the endevour. If you're starting from ore, coke and charcoal working at most 20 hours a week, 30 weeks might not be that bad a guess (still seems a little high, but if your also making your own charcoal....). Its a lot of work for one guy to go from a bunch of ore to steel wire. A professional with 2 assistants working 12 hours a day might get a lot more done than a hobbiest, even a really good one.

Ideally it would be nice to get a man-hour formula for the amount of work, gp x DC of item to be made x fudge factor. And then to have a man hours of work completed formula of (skill + circumstance bonus or penalties) x roll x other factors.

Remove ads