• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"fixing" Expertise?

evilbob

Explorer
A lot of stuff has been said about Weapon/Implement Expertise, and I am inclined to believe that this feat is a rather inelegant way to fix the existing math problem. (If you disagree with this first point, please move counterarguments to the threads pertaining to that topic. This position is assumed for the rest of this post.) Worse yet, I feel like as-implemented, the feat breaks more things than it solves: it gives Halbred/Longspear/etc. users a chance to significantly boost their power rather unreasonably since it stacks with itself, and it doubly-punishes classes/builds that were already given a hard time in the first place (cleric, paly, etc.) with a two-feat tax instead of one.

Given that, I have collected three proposed "fixes" for the feat that are obvious/commonly submitted/etc. The idea of this thread is to figure out which fix seems like the most useful, and other suggested fixes are welcome.

1. Just fix the math and ban the feats: +1/2/3 to hit at levels 5/15/25. This is a very commonly suggested fix.
- Pros: This is easy to implement, even in the Character Builder (just give both versions of the feat once to every character at level 5 for their primary weapon/implement) - although if you are specifically trying to also boost non-weapon, non-implement attacks, you can't. The simplicity of the solution is very appealing. Also completely circumvents feat stacking issues / double costs.
- Cons: No cost whatsoever does make it slightly different than the current implementation (typical cost: 1 feat), leaving a bad taste in the mouths of some. Are you really fixing the math or just boosting your own players? Also, this boosts non-weapon, non-implement attacks (like items and breath weapons) - unless you use the Character Builder - so it is much farther reaching than the feats. (On the other hand, won't these attacks need a boost, too?)

1b. Change monster stats instead (-1/2/3 to defenses for monsters >5/>15/>25) and ban the feats. This is also a somewhat simple (and invisible to the PCs) fix that is so similar to the first idea I didn't give it a different number.
- Pros: No issue with the Character Builder whatsoever. Also completely circumvents feat stacking issues / double costs.
- Cons: More difficult to implement than the first idea as it requires a quick mental check on the part of the DM for every monster/enemy.

2. The also commonly suggested "masterwork weapon/implement" fix: more powerful weapons/implements are found for +2/3, +4/5, and +6 items, which give +1/2/3 to hit, respectively. Possible example: Mithril weapon, minimum enhancement bonus +2, effect: +1 bonus to hit (or +1 to existing proficiency bonus, or whatever).
- Pros: This is close to #1 in practical terms, but it scales more realistically and follows the (admittedly convoluted but already implemented) masterwork armor "fix." Also completely circumvents feat stacking issues / double costs.
- Cons: This is difficult to actually do, as it would require new weapon type names (not really a problem) and keeping track of things not available in Character Builder (more of a problem). Like #1 it also doesn't cost a feat, which is different than the original (developer) solution and may leave a bad taste in the mouths of some.

3. Change the feat to avoid abuses: eliminate "Weapon Expertise" and "Implement Expertise" and replace with one feat: "Expertise." Taking the feat gives a +1/2/3 untyped bonus to weapon and implement attacks at 5/15/25. This feat cannot be taken more than once.
- Pros: Fixes the halbred "stacking" abuse and makes life slightly less suckier for clerics and palys ("double-cost" issue). Also works the way the original feat seems to have been intended (i.e. it still costs 1 feat). It is also easy to implement in Character Builder, as you simply add Weapon/Implement when the other is taken, and don't add additional instances of the feat.
- Cons: Non-standard feat language may leave a bad taste in the mouths of some. Still costs 1 feat, which many just plain don't like.

Personally, I am completely confused as to why the developers did not choose to do #2 (other than the idea that it needed to cost something so people wouldn't get so upset at blatant power creep [too late!]), but for my own games I am leaning toward #3. #2 is just too difficult to implement, especially when you rely on the Character Builder a lot (one downside of this tool is it severely limits your houseruling options if you want to use it). #3 leaves the "cost" in place, but simply fixes the abuses.

Other thoughts, ideas?

Last edited:

#3 seems to be the best fix imo. I haven't looked into the feat much but already saw the double typing issues as well as those associated with classes that built into implement/weapon. One would have figured the "fix" for higher level monsters would have been available and usable to all with no real catch.

WyattSalazar

First Post
A lot of people I met actually liked the challenge of whiffing against higher-tier critters. I design all of my own critters (I got tired of the Monster Manual 2 editions ago) so I don't have much a problem with this. If I were to pick one, I would pick #2 because I find it more interesting, and because I don't use the Character Builder and neither do my players. PERSONALLY though I just developed more ways for my players to get free bonuses within their own class to make up for this.

The most reasonable fix to me would be to just release an errata with whatever blanket Defense changes need to be made to the monster manual and the DMG formulas. This prevents everybody from keeping on making monsters that are too tough.

keterys

First Post
Remember that there are attacks that are neither implement nor weapon attacks - racial attacks (dragon breath, darkfire), some item attacks, and some paragon path powers, for instance.

Stalker0

Legend
Remember that there are attacks that are neither implement nor weapon attacks - racial attacks (dragon breath, darkfire), some item attacks, and some paragon path powers, for instance.

Also ability attacks like bull rush and grab...though frankly those already scale very poorly unless you take the specific magic items to help.

evilbob

Explorer
keterys: True, that makes #1 and 1b even more useful/powerful while limiting #2 and 3 to closer to the scope of power the feat is now. Good point.

(On the other hand, if you feel like those abilities are particularly useless and it might be nice if they had a boost, you'd probably prefer #1/1b.)

Lakoda

First Post
A while back I had posted a something about problem WotC is now trying to fix with these feats. The response I got was a rather strong statement about getting other resources to help you ... ie: it gets easier to obtain CA or you have class synergy or bonuses from leaders. Such an explanation never sat well with me...especially since it eventuall becomes a very significant disparrety.

I too would prefer item 2 but it is just not realistic (imo) mechanically speaking. I really do want to leave it a feat (option 3) and I probalby will at first, but I want to see if everyone takes it as I imagine they would. In the end I will probably just end of removing level and half-level bonuses from the game entirely and then there isn't a problem and I can just ban the feats out right. I never really understood why they felt the need to have scaling attacks and defenses (though it is probably because they think a group of newbs in a huge group killing a dragon is blasphemy).

keterys

First Post
Different type of fantasy game - is it possible for 200 townsfolk to kill the big bad or does it effortlessly clear through them... well, do they hit it 50% of the time or 5%? :)

I'd favor the bonus to all attacks (+1 per tier at 5/15/25, or 1/11/21 or even 11/21, to be +1 less) over other solutions as it's simpler, makes the players happier, and addresses all types of attacks rather than a subset.

evilbob

Explorer
Thinking more about it, I may start leaning more toward option 1 as well. The thing is, if grab and breath weapons and all their ilk are excluded from the +1, then these already poor options just get worse. It just means that players are funneled even more heavily toward their primary powers as opposed to other interesting options.

Note that you don't need text that says a feat can't be taken more than one. This is the default rule and only by specific text (special: you can take this feat more than once. each time you do... blah blah blah) is that rule overridden.

Even if you use fix #1, the character builder will still have inaccurate values for dragon breath, goring charge, alchemical items, etc. But you can't win them all. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads