Pathfinder 1E Fixing The Pathfinder Game System

Status
Not open for further replies.

ren1999

First Post
The Pathfinder modules are so beautifully styled and formatted.

The writing of the Adventure Paths and especially the beginner box is really great.

But the Pathfinder 3.5 system is just unplayable because the numbers become unmanageable and combat takes too long.

Here are some ideas that I have gotten during the 4th Edition play that I wanted to use to improve Pathfinder at the time. These may be similar to many 5th Edition ideas but there is a permanent record where I and others suggested these things first. Regardless of that, the system I have mended together here is different enough from 5th edition that we are all probably legally o.k. from IP infringement.

So here is a conversion guide for not only Pathfinder, but for any edition of Dungeons & Dragons. It is really simple.

1.) Copy the ability scores as they are.
If an ability score is above 20 for a mortal or a humanoid, that score becomes 20.
If an ability score is below 3 for a mortal or a humanoid, that score becomes 3.
If an ability score is above 30 for an immortal or a beast, that score becomes 30.
If a class level is above 20 for a mortal campaign, that class level becomes 20.
If a class level is above 30 for an immortal campagin, that class level becomes 30.

2.) Ability Score stats are AbilityScore - 10 / 2.
If you are untrained, roll this ability check without the benefit of your level bonus.

3.) Level Bonuses are back. Level / 3 round up for a range of +1 to +10.
If you are trained, add your level bonus to your roll.
If you are an expert, add your level bonus X2 to your roll.

4.) No single modifier is below -10 or above +10.
There are no automatic hits unless your target has the helpless condition.
The standard weapon and spell roll is
1d20
-10 to +10 Magic Modifier
-5 to +10 Ability Modifier
+1 to +10 Level Bonus

-10 to +10 Situation Modifier

Versus

Enemy Armor Class
Base 5
-10 to +10 Magic Abjuration and Armor Bonus
-5 to +10 Dexterity Modifier(Armor Bonus does not reduce this modifier)
+1 to +10 Level Bonus

ARMOR BONUSES
AC+0 No Armor
AC+1 Padded
AC+2 Leather
AC+3 Studded Leather
AC+4 Chain
AC+5 Ring
AC+6 Scale
AC+7 Banded
AC+8 Splint
AC+9 Full Plate
AC+1 Shield
or
AC+1 Reach Weapon(Your 2-handed weapon becomes 1-handed and is reduced by one die, example, 1d12 becomes 1d10)

Damage is
1d
-5 to +10 the relevant weapon or spell Ability Modifier
+1 to +10 Level Bonus with a 2-handed weapon or your Primary 1-handed weapon.
+0 Bonus for any Secondary off-handed weapon

Hit Points
Look at the hit dice of the pregenerated character or the monster.
This is its level.
Determine from the combined multi-class or single class, which of the 4 classes below, the character or monster is most like.

A Fighter with no spells?
A Skilled Rogue or Ranger?
A Fighter Caster Cleric, Monk?
A Caster with only spells?

CLASSES

FIGHTERS
(str+2)
(hp@1st 12+con mod)
(hp@2nd-30th(1d12(min 7)+con mod)
(proficient with up to plate armor)
(2 handed weapon damage 1d12+str mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed main weapon damage 1d6+str mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed off-hand weapon damage 1d6)
(starts with 1 weapon proficiency, 4 feats(some feats are fighters only), 2 skills, 2 actions/reactions)

SKILLED
(dex+2)
(hp@1st 10+con mod)
(hp@2nd-30th(1d10(min 6)+con mod)
(proficient with up to studded leather armor)
(2 handed weapon damage 1d10+dex mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed main weapon damage 1d6+dex mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed off-hand weapon damage 1d4)
(starts with 1 weapon proficiency, 4 feats, 6 skills(some skills are rogue or ranger only), 3 actions/reactions)

FIGHTER-CASTERS
(wis+2)
(hp@1st 8+con mod)
(hp@2nd-30th(1d8(min 5)+con mod)(proficient with up to ring armor)
(2 handed weapon damage 1d8+wis mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed main weapon damage 1d4+wis mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed off-weapon damage 1d4)
(starts with 1 weapon proficiency, 2 feats, 2 spells(exclusive necromancy/life spells, single targets only 1d8 damage), 2 skills, 4 actions/reactions)

CASTERS
(int+2)
(hp@1st 6+con mod)
(hp@2nd-30th(1d6(min 4)+con mod)
(no armor, abjuration spells and abjuration jewelry)
(2 handed weapon damage 1d6+int mod+lvl mod)
(1 handed main weapon damage 1d4+int mod+lvl mod)
(no off-hand weapons)
(starts with 1 weapon proficiency, 2 feats, 4 spells(exclusive area spells 10x10 ft. 1 spell point per additional +5 radius, 1d6 damage, +1d per additional spell point spent(max 5d)), 2 skills, 2 actions/reactions)

Spell Points/Feat Points
This is the character's highest ability modifier+the level bonus
These points are used to execute feats and cast spells.
These points renew at the beginning of each encounter.

To increase damage by +1d, spend an extra feat point or spell point.(maximum +5d)
To increase the spell radius for Caster only classes, that would be 1 spell point per +5ft. 1 step, 1 square
To take another action or reaction, that will cost 1 point per action/reaction.

Leveling-Up
you can increase 2 ability scores by +1
or
1 ability score+2
or
learn a new skill
or
learn a new feat
or
learn a new spell package.

Many, many ideas already being tested here.
http://d20game.weebly.com

Join me and we can make Pathfinder playable!

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The Pathfinder modules are so beautifully styled and formatted.

The writing of the Adventure Paths and especially the beginner box is really great.

But the Pathfinder 3.5 system is just unplayable because the numbers become unmanageable and combat takes too long.

XP for effort. But the extent of your changes aren't really fixing the game, they're making a new one. And odds are, if they're improvements to the d20 System, they're already included in D&D 5e.

Keep using those Pathfinder adventure modules - they have great art, story, and formatting.

And grab a copy of the new D&D. Or grab a good free game - there are plenty out there.

dazzlerdal

Explorer
I had a go at fixing pathfinder myself and just ended up writing a new system (I called it ARRGS). My tactic is somewhat different to yours, I removed all level based bonuses (BAB, Fort, Ref, Will, scaling natural armour, etc).

Personally I don't rate 5e. I can't put my finger on why, it just doesn't grab me the way 3e and pathfinder did.

ren1999

First Post
Do you have a link to your ARRGS system?

I think I am about to give up on this little hobby. Not enough interest.

I have a JavaScript application where I am working on this system.
I thought I could at least get some help on the programming from some JavaScript experts but no.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, I had a go at trying to fix 3e that looked somewhat similar, but I concluded it was too much work to be worth it - in the end, I decided I'd use 3.5e (or, more likely, Pathfinder) when running pre-gen adventures, but that for homebrew I'd just pick a game that fit better. At the moment, it looks like 5e may be that game, but at the moment I'm not in a D&D mood anyway.

exile

First Post
I'm quite fond of Pathfinder as is. What I would actually rather see are some Pathfinder derivatives that are not automatically dumped into Golarion and PFS. I'd like to see the classes from the upcoming Occult Player's Guide ( and maybe a handful of traditional classes, perhaps with appropriate archetypes) make their way into a new Gothic horror setting-- complete with an organized play campaign. Beyond that, I'd love to see a Pathfinder based sci-fi game and setting, also with its own organized play campaign. I long for the day's of being able to go to a con and play Living City, Living Death, Living Jungle, and Living Verge (or whatever the living Alternity campaign was called).

dazzlerdal

Explorer
Here is a link to the ARRGS system, its gradually working towards completion. The basic framework of combat is pretty much complete, and I have loads of spells and class options, I'm just working through the fine detail.

concerro

Explorer
OP your fixes are not fixing anything. The way the rules are interlink almost require you to rewrite the entire system. The best thing to do is to have a gentlemen's agreement with the players to not to certain things.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Your OP makes me think that you want to play 4E with Pathfinder modules... wouldn't it just be simpler to convert APs and such to 4E?

As it was said above, I don't think that your "fixes" are fixing much of anything. Why don't you try to make a new game with the elements that you like/need? That worked great for me a while back!

messy

Explorer
the extent of your changes aren't really fixing the game, they're making a new one.

I had a go at fixing pathfinder myself and just ended up writing a new system.

Yeah, I had a go at trying to fix 3e that looked somewhat similar, but I concluded it was too much work to be worth it - in the end, I decided I'd use 3.5e (or, more likely, Pathfinder).

these statements ring true for me, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads