• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fixing the Power Attack problem

Quartz

Hero
It's been well hashed over how Power Attack favours 2H weapons over sword-and-board. Could this be fixed by a simple feat:

One-handed Power Attack
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Str 13, BAB +2
Benefit: When using Power Attack with a one-handed non-light weapon, you add 2 points of damage to a successful attack for every 1 point of BAB you put to PA.

OK, you still don't get the 2 for 1 on Str, but you do get the AC for the shield.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Quartz said:
It's been well hashed over how Power Attack favours 2H weapons over sword-and-board. Could this be fixed by a simple feat:

One-handed Power Attack
Benefit: When using Power Attack with a one-handed non-light weapon, you add 2 points of damage to a successful attack for every 1 point of BAB you put to PA.

OK, you still don't get the 2 for 1 on Str, but you do get the AC for the shield.
I don't know about the 2-for-1 bonus on damage; it seems a bit high.

We fixed Power Attack by capping it a -5/+5, and not allowing the damage to multiply on a crit. It plays fairly well.

arnon

Explorer
My fix was to make it a constant.

My House Rules said:
You may add your strength modifier to the damage you deal, and subtract it from your attack roll. If you wield a two-handed weapon, add 1.5 times your strength to the damage you deal instead.

Jin_Kataki

First Post
I am confused. Why wouldn't Power Attack favor 2 handed weapons? I see no problem here. I am not against the addition of a feat to make it just as useful with a one handed weapon as long as it uses another feat slot, but I still wouldn't consider this a problem cause to me Power Attack should absolutely be more damaging with a 2 handed weapon.

Sparafucile

First Post
Quartz said:

One-handed Power Attack

Thanks, I'm using this in my game. Shields make a comeback.

Would you think using a third feat for light weapons (with the other two as prerequisites) as unbalancing at all?

ardentmoth

Explorer
Jin_Kataki said:
I am confused. Why wouldn't Power Attack favor 2 handed weapons? I see no problem here. I am not against the addition of a feat to make it just as useful with a one handed weapon as long as it uses another feat slot, but I still wouldn't consider this a problem cause to me Power Attack should absolutely be more damaging with a 2 handed weapon.
agreed. then again, the OP started this thread to find an alternative.

Quartz

Hero
Jin_Kataki said:
I am confused. Why wouldn't Power Attack favor 2 handed weapons?

The problem is not that it simply favours 2H weapons but that it so overwhelmingly favours 2H weapons to the extent that sword & board is a highly sub-optimal choice. Now, there still needs to be some differentiation: if there were none then everyone would go for sword & board. We needto hit the fine point balancing 2H and s&b,

Kerrick

First Post
The problem is that there's no cap - you could dump 50 points into it, if your BAB were high enough. True strike/power attack is a horribly broken combo for exactly this reason. Also, you can do it every attack - it should be a single attack made as a standard action, because you're summoning more power to deal more damage.

PA should favor two-handed weapons - if you're using a greatsword, greataxe, dire mace, or whatever, you're going to do more damage. Period.

We fixed Power Attack by capping it a -5/+5, and not allowing the damage to multiply on a crit. It plays fairly well.
We also capped it at -5/+5; didn't think about crits, but if it's only one attack/round, it wouldn't be that bad.

ardentmoth

Explorer
personally, i'm not a fan of choosing balance over either reality or fun. s/b can be MUCH more effective to use than 2H, depending on the build; that said, if a character wanted to s/b or 2h or dw, cool beans.

That said, i do agree that caps might help balance, and that -5/+5, while not fabulous, certainly isn't a bad starting point.

dystmesis

First Post
Kerrick said:
The problem is that there's no cap - you could dump 50 points into it, if your BAB were high enough. True strike/power attack is a horribly broken combo for exactly this reason. Also, you can do it every attack - it should be a single attack made as a standard action, because you're summoning more power to deal more damage.

PA should favor two-handed weapons - if you're using a greatsword, greataxe, dire mace, or whatever, you're going to do more damage. Period.

We also capped it at -5/+5; didn't think about crits, but if it's only one attack/round, it wouldn't be that bad.

How the heck does your BAB get to 50? You'd have to be like level 80 to get 50 BAB, and that'd only be if you counted the epic bonus to attack as actual BAB (which it doesn't). And if you're level 80, there's a lot more things to worry about than someone trading in 50 attack for PA...

Remove ads