D&D 5E Fizban's Treasury Dragons Ranked By Challenge Rating

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items. By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are: Ancient crystal (19) Ancient topaz (20) Ancient emerald (21) Ancient moonstone (21) Ancient sapphire (22) Elder brain dragon (22) Ancient amethyst (23) Ancient dragon turtle (24) Gem...

WotC has been sending out previews of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, due out next month, to folks on Twitter. Amongst those are art pieces and other items.

fbtod.png

By Challenge Rating the dragons in the book are:
  • Ancient crystal (19)
  • Ancient topaz (20)
  • Ancient emerald (21)
  • Ancient moonstone (21)
  • Ancient sapphire (22)
  • Elder brain dragon (22)
  • Ancient amethyst (23)
  • Ancient dragon turtle (24)
  • Gem greatwyrm (26)
  • Chromatic greatwyrm (27)
  • Metallic greatwyrm (28)
  • Apects of Bahamut and Tiamat (30)
Interestingly, it appears that the great wyrm category is divided into three -- gem, chromatic, metallic -- rather than by each dragon type.

There's also an alphabetical list of all 20 dragon types in the book:
  • Amethyst
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Brass
  • Bronze
  • Copper
  • Crystal
  • Deep
  • Dragon turtle
  • Emerald
  • Faerie
  • Gold
  • Green
  • Moonstone
  • Red
  • Sapphire
  • Shadow
  • Silver
  • Topaz
  • White

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I pretty much imagine Dragon of Icepeak as being the a prequel/prologue to Tyranny of Dragons and that Cryovane the Dragon is going berserk in Phandalin because of the Draco Rage that is being brought about by the Cult of Dragons.
With the fact that some dragonspeaker/masks are kinda missing from the adventures, I think I'll make Cryovain the one who has the White Dragon Mask, and Imryth the Blue one. This would make the white dragon mask the first mask they get, even before the start of HotDQ.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I pretty much imagine Dragon of Icepeak as being the a prequel/prologue to Tyranny of Dragons and that Cryovane the Dragon is going berserk in Phandalin because of the Draco Rage that is being brought about by the Cult of Dragons.
That is a mad genius take. My ultimate plan is to run a giant Sword Coast sandbox for my kids when they are older, and this is now the core of my plans. Thanks!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With the fact that some dragonspeaker/masks are kinda missing from the adventures, I think I'll make Cryovain the one who has the White Dragon Mask, and Imryth the Blue one. This would make the white dragon mask the first mask they get, even before the start of HotDQ.
Also stealing this.

Weiley31

Legend
I can totally see the PC's going "uh what?" upon claiming said White Dragon Mask from Cryovane and not knowing its too purpose until much later.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm assuming that it's an Elder Brain that acts like an Intellect Devourer (replaces the brain of the dragon and takes control of the body). If that's the case, that's freaky and awesome! If it's not, that's how they're going to work in my games! (I'd also probably replace their breath weapon with a flurry of tentacles that come out of the Dragon's mouth and attack and grab enemies.)
So basically a giant ribbon worm. Er, wyrm. Heck yeah.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I hadn't given it a huge amount of thought, but Fairie Dragons have big RP potential as friendly NPCs (even patrons for PCs, potentially), so having tables for random Fairie Dragon personalities actually makes a lot of sense.
I would not be surprised if they tie faerie dragons more into the Feywild and recent lore.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads