• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flame tongue and bless weapon

ShadowMaster

First Post
I have problem understanding Bless weapon while using a flame tongue. What would be happen upon a critical threat while using such sword?

The flaming burst is a magical effect related to critical hits and the last paragraph of Bless Weapon sais : "This last effect does not apply to any weapon that already has a magical effect related to critical hits, such as a keen weapon or a vorpal sword". Would my paladin have the choice to deactivate the flaming burst?

Thanks

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Strictly as worded, if you cast Bless Weapon on a Flame Tongue, it does not automatically confirm criticals.

If I were going to rule it, however, I think I would tell the player to roll the confirmation die. If he's successful, the Burst triggers as a normal critical hit. If he fails, then Bless Weapon confirms the critical, doing double damage, but the Burst does not trigger.

-Hyp.

Remove ads