• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Sphere Reflex Save Question

Jasperak

Adventurer
I hope someone out there can help me concerning Reflex saves in regards to the Flaming Sphere spell. It seems that my players believe that the flaming sphere spell forces one to move to make the saving throw, and while I don't exactly disagree with them, I can find no rule that makes it clear if a Reflex save forces one to move.
If there is any thread that I can look at, or maybe a Sage answer somewhere, please give directions. Thanks.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Explosive Spell is a feat that makes you move when you make a Reflex save.

Or something like that. I don't think you actually move otherwise.

Andur

First Post
By the nature of the save you move. However, it does not count as a move or a move action, nor do you move from the square(s) you are in when you make the save.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick replies. I think my question might be better framed this way. How can one justify a successful Reflex save when occupying the same square as a flaming sphere?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, the spell doesn't say how big the sphere is. Maybe you just dodged it or jumped over it as it came rolling towards you.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. 5'-diameter sphere.

Hm, don't know.

atom crash

First Post
Think of it this way: A character does not fully take up the 5' space he is in. Neither does the flaming sphere. A successful save indicates the character has found a place within that space where he can stand but not be encompassed by the sphere.

However you want to envision it, go for it: he ducks down, slips to the side, drops to the floor (though remember that mechanically he isn't prone). I kinda think of someone either dropping to one knee or jumping Matrix-style with arms out and legs drawn back, like he's sidestepping a tackle or dodging a bullet, but that's just me.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Making a reflex save does not cause you to move from the square you are in unless the spell or effect you are saving against specifically says that you move.

So how can you occupy the same 5' square as a 5' diameter flaming sphere without getting hurt?

It's magic. Don't think about it too much.

(I've always assumed that the sphere size is a typo, myself.)

Remove ads