• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Sphere

Maximillian

First Post
Another player and I came to contention over a wizard's subsequent uses of the Flaming Sphere power.

The initial attack from a flaming sphere is a ranged attack. The "sustain" portion of the ability text states that "as a standard action, you can make another attack with the sphere."

Is that also a ranged attack? i.e. Does the wizard need line of sight to the target? Does she provoke opportunity attacks from creatures adjacent to her?

To me, the power entry seems to imply that it is a ranged attack, and therefor any attacks with the power are ranged attacks. The contention comes from the fact that it's a "ranged 10" power, whereas the sphere itself attacks a creature adjacent to it. The power can actually attack creatures up to 11 squares from the wizard. Is it just the initial conjuration that should be treated as a ranged attack? Any thoughts?

WOLead

First Post
Maximillian said:
Another player and I came to contention over a wizard's subsequent uses of the Flaming Sphere power.

The initial attack from a flaming sphere is a ranged attack. The "sustain" portion of the ability text states that "as a standard action, you can make another attack with the sphere."

Is that also a ranged attack? i.e. Does the wizard need line of sight to the target? Does she provoke opportunity attacks from creatures adjacent to her?

To me, the power entry seems to imply that it is a ranged attack, and therefor any attacks with the power are ranged attacks. The contention comes from the fact that it's a "ranged 10" power, whereas the sphere itself attacks a creature adjacent to it. The power can actually attack creatures up to 11 squares from the wizard. Is it just the initial conjuration that should be treated as a ranged attack? Any thoughts?

I would say yes to both needing line of sight of the target and provoking OAs from creatures adjacent to her for the Sustain Standard action of Flaming Sphere. The Sustain Standard is an attack against one creature that the player is controlling. If they can't see the target, how do they control the Flaming Sphere to attack a creature adjacent to it? So if the sustain requires an attack roll, treat it as an attack needing LoS and such.

Mort_Q

First Post
You conjure a sphere with the power, and the sphere makes the attack. The conjuration is ranged, but the sphere's attack is effectively melee plus it has an aura.

Weirdness. By RAW it's ranged.

Maximillian

First Post
Surgoshan said:
The portion "another attack" means that you repeat the first attack, with all the baggage that came with it.

Is there something in the books that confirms this? I've looked over all the relevant text a number of times, and while I definitely agree, I can't confirm it anywhere.

I'm glad most folks agree that it's considered ranged. I think you have to think of it as an attack that requires a modicum of concentration, leaving the wizard open to attack. However, it is weird that you can attack creatures who are 11 squares away, even though it's a "Range 10" power.

mattdm

First Post
The whole thing seems weird — following the way other powers work, it seems you make an Intelligence attack vs. the target reflex which a) does 2d6+Int fire damage on a hit and b) causes the flaming sphere to appear as a side effect whether you hit or miss. Except, Target is "One creature adjacent to the flaming sphere", which can't exist before you use the power — oh noes! It's impossible!

I think it's pretty clear how it's meant to work, though. It's just that the standard power block is awkward for explaining it.

1) You conjure a Medium flaming sphere in an unoccupied square within range.
2) As a free action immediately when the sphere appears, or as a standard action on any subsequent rounds if the power is sustained, you can use the sphere to make an attack on an adjacent creature — Int vs. reflex, 2d6+Int fire.
3) As a move action, you can move the sphere up to six squares, and it must stay within range, because that's the way the conjuration keyword works.
4) As a minor action, you can sustain the sphere in the following rounds.

It's unclear whether you need line of effect or line of sight; I'm inclined to say that you don't, because the attack is analogous to the origin square of an area attack. But I can see the other interpretation as completely reasonable as well. I'm pretty sure you need to maintain line of effect to the sphere, because otherwise it'd be effectively out of range and instantly end.

mattdm

First Post
VannATLC said:
I'd rule you need LOS, to actually know where to guide the sphere, but overall, MattDM has it correct.

My take would be that if you didn't have line of sight, you'd follow the rules in the "Targetting What You Can't See" box, basically as if the target were invisible.

Dracollich

First Post
In a recent game I ruled in favor of the PC on this one. After the ball was created, line of sight is no longer needed to order it around. With concentration, the wizard is able to "see" what the ball "sees" through the magical connection.

Is it in the rules: no. Was it fun for the player: Yes. Was it game breaking: No.

Remove ads