• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming whip

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
mvincent said:
I can provide an obligatory troll posting:

What happens if you are fighting a troll with a flaming sap?

Regeneration automatically heals non-lethal damage. Fire damage does not convert to non-lethal for a troll.

If you hit a troll with a flaming club, the lethal bludgeoning damage converts to non-lethal (which regenerates), and the lethal fire damage doesn't.

If you hit a troll with a flaming sap, the bludgeoning damage would convert to non-lethal, but it's already non-lethal (which regenerates), and the fire damage wouldn't, but it's already non-lethal (which regenerates).

-Hyp.

Storyteller01

First Post
Brief, nonsnarky highjack:

Hype, do you play by this interpretation, or are just stating that this is RAW?

Just wanting to know if the ultimate rules lawyer plays this strictly. :)

Or: even if it's RAW, would you personally house rule it...
(Not conceeding that this is correct, but the other route is getting nowhere :) )

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Storyteller01 said:
Again, not being snary. Just wanting to know if the ultimate rules lawyer plays this strictly. :)

You should be fine. I asked the same question, basically, a few pages ago. Of course mine wasn't worried quite the way you did it. :)

Storyteller01

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
You should be fine. I asked the same question, basically, a few pages ago. Of course mine wasn't worried quite the way you did it. :)

The human is a wierd critter, and e-mail is not an effective means of expression. ;)

EDIT: But an adjustment was in order. Thanks!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Storyteller01 said:
Hype, do you play by this interpretation, or are just stating that this is RAW?

I think the only whip being used in a game I'm currently involved with is a whip-dagger, which doesn't have the whip's limitations :)

-Hyp.

Storyteller01

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I think the only whip being used in a game I'm currently involved with is a whip-dagger, which doesn't have the whip's limitations :)

-Hyp.

Missed the point. If there were a whip (flaming, icy, shocking, sticky, slobbering, whatever) would you play by your current interpretation, or would you house rule another application? :cool:

EDIT: Just to be clear; if you were DMing a game where a whip was involved...

No copping out by saying your only playing. :)

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

But in a game you are running, would you really have a flaming sap do "non-lethal" fire damage?

Sil

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Again, if the fire dealt 1d6 fire damage, it wouldn't be a problem. But the Flaming ability adds +1d6 fire damage to the damage dealt by the weapon. The whip doesn't deal zero damage; it deals no damage. The two are treated very differently in D&D.

A character who can cast 0 3rd level spells, with an ability score that grants 1 3rd level bonus spell, gets a total of one spell. 0 + 1 = 1.

A character who can't cast 3rd level spells, with an ability score that grants 1 3rd level bonus spell, gets no 3rd level spells. -- + 1 = --.

An 8th level ranger with the Mageslayer feat has a caster level of 0. With an orange ioun stone, which grants +1 caster level, he has a caster level of 1. An 8th level fighter has no caster level. An orange ioun stone does nothing for him.

A character who has his Dex permanently damaged to 0, then reads a Manual of Quickness of Action +3 (by telekinesis, perhaps ;) ) has a Dex of 3. 0 + 3 = 3. A Formian Queen who reads the same book gets no benefit. -- + 3 = --.

A whip deals no damage. No damage +1d6 fire damage is -- + 1d6.

-Hyp.
Can you find an example that uses weapon damage?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads