• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming whip

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Octal40 said:
No, it isn't. It's extra damage dealt by the Flaming ability of the weapon.

As you just quoted - it's not the ability that deals the damage. It's the weapon. The ability means that the weapon deals extra damage. The ability does not deal the damage.

-Hyp.

Octal40

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
As you just quoted - it's not the ability that deals the damage. It's the weapon. The ability means that the weapon deals extra damage. The ability does not deal the damage.

-Hyp.
Buh? I'm not following you. The SRD says that Flaming weapons deal 1d6 on a HIT. Nothing about "when damage is done, add 1d6 fire damage." Therefore, a Flaming weapon merely must contact the target for fire damage to be added. The weapon itself does not have to do any damage.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Octal40 said:
Buh? I'm not following you. The SRD says that Flaming weapons deal 1d6 on a HIT. Nothing about "when damage is done, add 1d6 fire damage." Therefore, a Flaming weapon merely must contact the target for fire damage to be added. The weapon itself does not have to do any damage.

It deals +1d6 damage on a successful hit. There's a difference between 1d6 damage, and +1d6 damage.

See the net and Str bonus, for example.

-Hyp.

Octal40

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
There's a difference between 1d6 damage, and +1d6 damage.
Where can I find reference to this in the SRD? And where can I find what you're refering to regarding the net and Str bonus? I reread both and don't see how they apply to the Flaming Whip issue.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Octal40 said:
Where can I find reference to this in the SRD? And where can I find what you're refering to regarding the net and Str bonus? I reread both and don't see how they apply to the Flaming Whip issue.

What damage does a net do, when thrown by someone with 14 Str?

-Hyp.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think that a little too much emphasis has been placed on the phrase "flaming weapon."

I read EVERY ability in that section. EACH (except Keen, Ki Focus, Seeking, Throwing) describes a weapon with "X" power as an "X" weapon- a weapon with bane is a bane weapon, a weapon with spell-storing is a spell-storing weapon, etc.

Its a simple, English language shorthand for describing an object with a certain property. (Its moments like this when I realize what linguists mean when they talk about the imprecision of the English language.)

Octal40

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
What damage does a net do, when thrown by someone with 14 Str?

-Hyp.
None. But now we're comparing the net which can never do damage to the whip which can do damage. Also, doing damage is not part of my argument. That's yours. You'll have to convince me that the weapon has to do damage for the Flaming part to be able to affect the target. I propose that it does not.

And I'd still like to know where in the SRD it makes a distinction between 1d6 and +1d6.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Octal40 said:
None. But now we're comparing the net which can never do damage to the whip which can do damage.

The whip can never do damage against an armored opponent.

What about a net used with a sneak attack?

You'll have to convince me that the weapon has to do damage for the Flaming part to be able to affect the target. I propose that it does not.

And I'd still like to know where in the SRD it makes a distinction between 1d6 and +1d6.

+1d6 is a modifier. It modifies a value. If there's no value to modify, it can't apply.

When a whip is used against an armored opponent, there's no value to modify.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads