• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flanking

Mystern

First Post
werk said:
It's really hard to tell because you are mapping multiple, dependant scenarios in one diagram.

Oppositional and threatening, that's all you need.

i know it's hard to tell that's why the issue came up. so what technically is considered opposite borders? if i trace a line through the corner of a square and one of the opposing sides, does that count?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Mystern said:
edit. according to the picture from phb my diagram should look like this

p p p p p p p
p o o o o o p
p o o o o o p
p o o x o o p
p o o o o o p
p o o o o o p
p p p p p p p

i think

Right.

if i trace a line through the corner of a square and one of the opposing sides, does that count?

No. Two corners, yes. Two borders, yes. One border and one corner, no.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Mystern

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Right.

-Hyp.
then the diagram in the phb is incorrect for the hobgoblin?
the reason i ask is that the phb lists the hobgoblin as having a +2 but not the orc.
i'm just confused as to why this would be . . .

irdeggman

First Post
Mystern said:
then the diagram in the phb is incorrect for the hobgoblin?
the reason i ask is that the phb lists the hobgoblin as having a +2 but not the orc.
i'm just confused as to why this would be . . .

Stealth errata. The collector's edition has all of them with a +2.

Mystern

First Post
irdeggman said:
Stealth errata. The collector's edition has all of them with a +2.
then i'm correct, and a corner and an opposing border does count. that also means my most recent diagram is correct. that also means that when i'm 5 feet away but my buddy only has a 5' reach he still gets the flanking bonus. now here's the real question, i found a feat recently (though i can't remember the name) which would mean that technically i could flank with myself using a spiked chain. anyone know the feat i'm talking about? all i remember is one of the prerequisites is the feat "vexing flanker"

Zurai

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

-Hyp.

That's not what the PHB says.

PHB said:
If the line passes through opposite borders of the opponent’s space (including corners of those borders), then the opponent is flanked.

frankthedm

First Post
Incorperating the stealth errata, here is a chart showing those potential flanks.

chainoc2bn0.gif

frankthedm

First Post
werk said:
edit: bah, just look at Frank's image...
I had to break out the grid i made specificly for borders and corners issues. AAnd it hinges on the stealth errata treating opposite corners and opposite borders as mix or match.

deadonea1.gif

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads