• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flat-Footed

Water Bob

Adventurer
The example given by the Man in the Funny Hat sounds to me like trouble has already started, but both sides give the other a chance to back off. Mechanically speaking, initiative has been rolled, but both parties have decided to delay on their first turn (or do anything but attack, anyway). That way, when one side decides to take an action other than delaying, nobody's flat-footed.

I wonder how many other DMs have that type of situation play out like that in their games? I would call that being pre-mature on the nish roll, but I understand your mechanics.

Do many other DMs usually have nish thrown followed by a Delay? Just curious. Pipe in if you do that.

I usually roll the nish right as the swings start flying. As soon as someone says, "That's it! I'm swinging my sword at him!", I'll say, "OK, roll nish!"

Water Bob

Adventurer
Just curious, is there a good "defense" or discussion about being flat-footed anywhere? On a blog, forum, as a Dungeon article?

Anybody read a good commentary about that rule anywhere?

Water Bob

Adventurer
This discussion reminds me of a little ditty I wrote a while back to the tune of Foreigner's "Hot Blooded"...

Well, I'm Flatfooted, check it and see
I rolled an initiative of only a three
Come on. Maybe! Ah, can't I roll better than that?
I'm flatfooted, I'm FLATFOOTED!

You don't have to read my mind, to know what I want my eyes to find
A twenty-sider, and I let it go
Now it was moving so fine, until it stopped on a dime
I don't wanna know what what I'd get if I made another throw

Now it's up to you, a d20 with its number high
Just me and you, with that d20 I'll show you shakin' like you never knew

But, I'm flatfooted, check it and see

If it lands just right, my PC may live through the night
Shall I throw the dice and see?
The GM's got to give me a sign, will I die or be fine?
Please let me roll hot, mama, but it sure ain't turing out that way for me.

Is my guy tough enough? Do I need a bigger mod to call a bluff?
Is my thinking right? Did I save a Fate Point for the game tonight?

Yeah I'm flatfooted, check it and see

I'm flatfooted, FLATFOOTED!

Water Bob

Adventurer
Here's my response to my troubled player:

Remember that being Flat-Footed at the beginning of a combat round is about how quick a character moves and reacts to a situation. It's based on DEX. It doesn't have anything to do with awareness of enemies (which would base it on WIS or INT). That would be Surprise. One rule I read said that Surprised characters are flat-footed because they haven't acted yet in a round, not because they are surprised.

What I want to bring to your attention is the Feint Combat maneuver.

Now, this is something that can be done on a character's action, during a fight.

So, let's say Caelis and Thrallan are going at it, and on the third combat round, Thrallan decides to attempt a Feint. What he does is give up an attack (because he's acting like he'll attack in one direction, but pulls that attack in order to fake out his enemy). You don't get an extra attack to pull off this maneuver, so it takes two attacks to do it--the first is your feint and the second is your real attack.

Mechanically, Thrallan rolls his Bluff skill instead of his usual attack when he feints. Caelis gets a free action to fall for it or not by rolling his Sense Motive skill. If Caels wins, Thrallan's feint fails, and combat goes on as normal. The net result is that Thrallan gave up an attack to try.

But, if Thrallan wins the Bluff vs. Sense Motive toss, Thrallan successfully confuses Caelis with his thrust, then comes in from another direction. If Thrallan's feint succeeds, Caelis is considered flat-footed (can't dodge or parry Thrallan's next attack) until just before his next turn on the next round. Thus, Thrallan feints in round 3 and then attacks flat-footed Caelis on round 4.

Now, logically, if a character can be considered flat-footed that quickly, right in the middle of a combat, is it a stretch to consider that a character can be considered flat-footed, the victim of the first blow from his enemy?

What happened with the feint? Thrallan faked a jab to the right, then pulled his swing. Caelis fell for the ruse, adjusted his stance to defend the blow coming in from the right, when Thrallan quickly shifted and struck into Caelis' exposed left--all in a matter of seconds.

If getting the first attack in is an advantage (and I know it is because, in the few fights I've been in during my life, I've been punched in the nose before I could strike, my eyes watered, and my opponent remained at an advanted during the entire fight), as I think all three of us will agree, I don't see it as too far a stretch to say that being flat-footed because your enemy struck first is akin to being victim of a feint.

Your opponent struck fast, and even though you were quite aware and ready to defend yourself, your opponent got in the first blow and took the advantage.

If you survive that first blow, your opponent's advantage is not as strong (you are no longer flat-footed), and the fight ensues.

But, as it says in the game, "striking first can mean the difference between life and death," the game designers chose to implement that first strike advantage with the flat-footed rule.

No game is perfect, but I think if you really consider what is being described here, you might find the flat-footed rule a bit easier to swallow.

The example given by the Man in the Funny Hat sounds to me like trouble has already started, but both sides give the other a chance to back off. Mechanically speaking, initiative has been rolled, but both parties have decided to delay on their first turn (or do anything but attack, anyway). That way, when one side decides to take an action other than delaying, nobody's flat-footed.

I have actually used initiative rolls for things other than combat in the past - and sometimes these situations devolved into actual combat after a moment. In these instances, flat-footedness didn't come up, because everybody had already acted.
It's been my experience that using initiative for anything other than combat, or even using it before someone ACTUALLY attacks only leads to the realization that the initiative rules break down when they "exceed their authority." Again, if two characters are arguing and you expect it to break out into an actual combat at any moment and you want to be sure you know who's going to go first so you have everyone roll intiative. But then combat doesn't happen and there you are conducting combat rounds when there is no combat. Then you find that combat doesn't actually start until it's somebody's turn - but how do you determine then who gets to start? That is SUPPOSED to be what initiative is for.

I don't think the rules actually say it but combat doesn't ever start until there is an attack. Spell, sword, special ability - just something that assaults another character or creature with an intent to harm or control. It also doesn't start with an effort to defend yourself. You can take actions to bolster your defense but that doesn't start combat and thus does not require initiative. Initiative is rolled when somebody says, "I attack". Initiative is only used and only needed when combat is actually underway. Prior to that you can use whatever means to sort out actions that you think best. Now initiative is a Dex check - but making dex checks is not always rolling for initiative.

Now here's something else that I don't think is actually in the rules, but the ONLY thing that initiative does is randomly determine the order of action resolution when you don't already know who goes first. Now there's nothing quite as silly as having a player state, "I attack," and then after initiative is rolled end up going LAST. IMO, in any encounter when surprise is not a factor and the DM determines that there isn't an immediate, general consensus to fight, then the first person to say, "I attack," wins initiative. There is no Ready action outside of combat. If you want to draw your weapon you say so and your weapon is drawn. If you want your character to be the first to fire or attack when combat has not yet begun then all you have to do is be the first to SAY, "I attack." Then everyone else rolls initiative.

As I said, initiative is simply for determining the order of resolution for actions. In its finer workings it doesn't even determine who actually goes FIRST - just the ORDER in which actions are resolved. When someone says, "I attack" the question of who is at the top of the order becomes known and shouldn't (can't!) then be re-determined randomly.

All of this simply argues that the rules for initiative are well-written even if they don't go into detail about why they apply to various situations the way they do. Use initiative as written and only when it is specifically called for and it works. I'm a big believer in DM adjudication, and ignoring or altering rules that get in the way, but in the case of Intiative keeping things as BtB as possible works best.

JMO

Water Bob

Adventurer
It's been my experience that using initiative for anything other than combat, or even using it before someone ACTUALLY attacks only leads to the realization that the initiative rules break down when they "exceed their authority."

What is initiative but a Reflex save? You don't use Reflex saves for many other situations outside of combat?

It seems to me that the Reflex Save/Initiative Throw could be applied to any situation where it needs to be determined who acts quickest.

If two unarmed men both spy the dagger within reach on the table, an Initiative Throw/Reflex Save seems appropriate to see who grabs the weapon first.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I have often had players try to argue with me against being flat-footed in situations where they were aware of their opponent before the combat began (e.g. heated discussion turning hostile), but in the spirit of being consistent, I do not judge these situations differently than situations in which a party breaks down the door behind which a party of orcs are standing. If a character takes another character completely by surprise, it is a surprise round. If a character engages another character when both are aware of each other, initiative is rolled to see who gets to act first and the party who wins catches the other flat-footed momentarily.

It really isn't that difficult of a concept to grasp in my opinion. Based on the "problem player's" interpretation or rather in this case opinion of the rule in question, if you wanted to apply it consistently there should never be an actual surprise round, but only the opportunity to catch someone flat-footed if you beat them in initiative.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Initiative is not in any way, shape or form a Reflex save.

Maybe your game is different from mine. I play the Conan 2E RPG, which is a d20 3.5 clone. The nish check in this game is: 1d20 + Reflex save bonus + any other bonuses.

Under "Initiative", it says, "An initiative check is effectively a Reflex save...".

Don't know about D&D because I don't play it.

Dandu

First Post
Maybe your game is different from mine. I play the Conan 2E RPG, which is a d20 3.5 clone. The nish check in this game is: 1d20 + Reflex save bonus + any other bonuses.

Under "Initiative", it says, "An initiative check is effectively a Reflex save...".

Don't know about D&D because I don't play it.
You probably shouldn't be asking about it in a D&D Legacy discussion subforum.

Remove ads