• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flatten the math: how much and should it be linear

seregil

First Post
EDIT: Did you ever go back to a post you wrote and say 'Wha?!? I actually wrote this?', well this is mine. This long post can be summed up as follows:

2 fighters of the same level, all else being equal, should have a 50% chance of winning against the other if all they do is stand and swing at each other. Meaning a 50% chance of hitting etc. This is my basic premise.

Therefore, if BAB goes up, so should a defensive bonus so that the chances of hitting stay the same at all levels.
If Hit points go up, then so should damage so that battle don't last hours.
For me, Offensive scaling is linked to defensive scaling and Hit points are linked to damage.

Also, progress should not be linear as you learn faster in the beginning and then you slow down. However, as you master a skill, you can start doing thing that a simple + can't represent, hence more 'special manoeuvres' at higher levels.

There! Several paragraphs summed up in a few lines. I really was zoned out when I wrote this post.

**warning, this post is long. It is my musings on the base mechanics of combat for DND 5E. Forgive me if I sound pedantic, I'm trying to ensure i am well understood and that I do not overlook anything**

I have read a lot about flattening the math in the next edition. Specifically, this is supposed to mean that the power level goes up much slower than, say, 3rd edition. I LIKE the idea that a level 1 fighter is still dangerous to a level 20 fighter. IRL, ANYBODY with a weapon is to be considered a threat, even if you are confident of winning.

The question becomes how flat.

I think the yardstick that would be useful to start with is the combat mechanics since they are, at their base, quite simple. Also, in Warhammer 40K, there is a concept called MEQ, meaning Marine Equivalent. It is used to compare some type of units to the standard Space Marine (4 in all stats, save 3+).

Here. I think we should use F1EQ (1st level fighter equivalent).

NOTE: I'm talking about the automatic 'every fighter gets them' bonuses. The feats, skills, powers et al would modify all this to make each character unique will not be taken into consideration.

Assumptions for F1EQ:
All stats are 12, giving a +1 bonus for each.
BAB is +1 for fighter at level 1 (most other classes would be +0 I assume)
No armour (AC 10 + 1 dex bonus= AC11).
Long sword (1d8 damage)

Now then, if two F1EQ fight it out, they have 55% chance to hit (The +1 STR bonus cancels the +1 Dex bonus) meaning that they need a 10 or better to hit.

Now, three questions need to be answered:
  • Does it go up in a linear fashion?
  • How fast does the BAB go up?
  • How does defense relate to this?
Let's deal with the linear question first. IRL, you learn a new skill relatively fast and then, once you have the basics down, your learning speed slows. For a fighter, he would learn the basic moves, parries and defences quite quickly. After that, he would perfect himself and learn specific tricks and manoeuvres. I submit that, mechanically, this means that the BAB should slow down after a while BUT it should be compensated by 'combat manoeuvres' such as Expert Disarm, Expert Cleave or what have you that you would begin to pick up at medium level.

Now then, how does this affect the speed at which BAB goes up? Well, it should mean that the speed changes. Specifically, it slows down.

Ok.

What is the maximum level? Well, should this not depends on what the maximum DEFENSE can be?

From what I have seen, there seems to be a desire to not scale defence with level. I.E. Not give 'free' AC for levels. This makes sense to me but there is a problem. The level 20 fighter SHOULD be harder to hit than a level 1 fighter. He is more agile, has vastly more experience and knows how to avoid his and angle his armour more.

How? (again ignoring powers/feats/etc)
I can only see a bonus to AC based on level. All other bonuses should be customizable. For example, I can choose to put an extra stat point in DEX if I choose. In effect, I am making my fighter more defensive by choice.

Ok, but I still think that all else being equal, two plain vanilla level 20 fighters facing each other should have essentially the same chances as two level 1 fighters. Their bonuses should cancel out. This would require that DEFENSIVE bonuses scale at the same speed as OFFENSIVE bonuses.

Now then, since DEFENSIVE bonuses should scale the same way as OFFENSIVE bonuses, how high should they go?

Well, how much of a threat do you want your F1EQ to be to the 20th level fighter?

A significant threat? Then the max bonus should be +5 over 20 levels, giving the F20EQ a base AC of 16 (10 base, +1 dex, +5 Def. bonus). The F1EQ would now hit him on a 15 or better (30 % chance).

A minor threat (my personal choice)? Then max bonus = +9, giving the F20EQ a base AC of 20 (10 base, +1 dex, +9 Def. bonus). The F1EQ would now hit on a 19 or better (10% chance).

This is where damage comes in.

Well, even if the F1EQ hits, how much DAMAGE should he do? With a long sword (average damage of 5.5), a F1EQ should kill a F1EQ with two blows. So how many hits should he have to do to kill the F20EQ?

Again, how much of a threat do you want him to be?
Significant? Then max hit point of a F20EQ should be around 55, requiring 10-11 hits to kill the F20EQ. The F20EQ will win, but he will lose about 10% of his HP with every hit, making him worry quite a lot.

Minor (my choice)? Then the max hit points of a F20EQ should be around 110 or so. He would lose about 5% with every hit. Not fun, but certainly minor.

Again, to maintain the same threat level the whole way through, you need to scale damage with hit points. And, from what I have read, this is what they seem to want to do.

Therefore, if my analysis holds, BAB and Def. Bonus scale together to ensure the % of hits remains the same for same level fighters and HP/W scaling together to ensure that the damage for same level fighters is always significant.

So, what rate do you want?
Here, we enter to my personal preferences. I get REALLY annoyed when high level characters walk all over the City Guard. It BUGS me. While I accept that a combat veteran (F20EQ) should eat a rank-and-file guardsman (a F1EQ) for lunch, the entire SQUAD of guardsman should be a worry for the veteran even if he should win.

Therefore, I would suggest a scaling for BAB/AC like this:
Levels 1-10: +1 per odd level
Levels 11-20: +1 at 11,15,17,20

Total BAB/AC bonus is +9, as I wanted giving the F1EQ a 10% chance of hitting a F20EQ.

HP/W: Here, I'm a bit less certain. However, I like the simplicity of the metric system, so I would say that the maximum HO for a F1EQ (with no bonuses) should be 10 and the max HP for a F20EQ should be 100HP. So the F20EQ should have 10D10 hit points (plus bonuses). Then I would work the weapon damage around that. This is more complicate because of the many weapons, the different damage, etc.

Ok, I'm done rambling. Did I make any sense?

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
You forgot enhancement bonuses (ye olde +3 sword) which can make a difference of 5 (or 6) to attack and AC. Well, maybe 10 to AC if they keep enhancement bonuses on shields stacking with that of armor, but that would probably be a very bad idea.

Technically, you can also handwave most of that "F1 has little he can do about the F20" bit with just hp difference. Could have a 20-50% chance to hit, but if he only does 2-5% of his HP... eh.

Libramarian

Adventurer
From what I have seen, there seems to be a desire to not scale defence with level. I.E. Not give 'free' AC for levels. This makes sense to me but there is a problem. The level 20 fighter SHOULD be harder to hit than a level 1 fighter. He is more agile, has vastly more experience and knows how to avoid his and angle his armour more.

How? (again ignoring powers/feats/etc)
I can only see a bonus to AC based on level. All other bonuses should be customizable. For example, I can choose to put an extra stat point in DEX if I choose. In effect, I am making my fighter more defensive by choice.
I don't like it. I'm excited about the prospect of AC not scaling by level. Give the fighter the ability to trade some of his attack bonus for AC bonus or something like that. "Fighting defensively".

BobTheNob

First Post
I have to say what has been discussed so far has me excited. I remember thinking the same when we were playing 4e : you can scale damage fairly dynamically, but when you scale against probability you start getting into trouble.

To me, probability bonus's shouldn't approach, let alone challenge, the 100% mark. When anyone is packing a bonus of+15 or greater on a d20 roll, alarm bells start going off in my head.

If a best case scenario(and I'm talking you have eeked every last bonus that exists in the game) saw you with a+10 and that's about what I would be happy with

Szatany

First Post
You forgot enhancement bonuses (ye olde +3 sword) which can make a difference of 5 (or 6) to attack and AC. Well, maybe 10 to AC if they keep enhancement bonuses on shields stacking with that of armor, but that would probably be a very bad idea.
The way around it would be to make enhancement not stack with BAB after a certain point. Lets say BAB can't go higher than +10. Then enhancement + BAB couldn't go higher than +10 as well. So you could even have a +10 sword, but it would grant you less and less as you gain levels.

Give the fighter the ability to trade some of his attack bonus for AC bonus or something like that. "Fighting defensively".
Or introduce parrying and dodging mechanics.

Whenever you scale (damage and BAB) and (HP and defense) you increase quadratic in power.

Old ADnD did nicely by not scaling damage and not scaling defense by level, so your increase in power is rather linear and combats get less swingy. Quadratic wizards were held in line, by (saving throws and HP) that went up.

5e should go back to a linear scale for fighters. And as it is now, their idea is NO AC and NO BAB bonus per level. Which does exactly this, but swinginess is not reduced as much as in earlier editions.

BobTheNob

First Post
I'm pretty sure BAB is gone as a system. It's certainly a Dealbreaker for me, and almost no one defends it.

I find myself on the outside of many issues too. Doesn't distress me, if anything it's interesting to see how my perception vary from others.

That said, sorry, i don't know if Bab is fully dead, but I'm ecstatic about how they are scaling probability effectors back to a flat scale. IMO the single best thing they have announced about 5e so far

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I have to say what has been discussed so far has me excited. I remember thinking the same when we were playing 4e : you can scale damage fairly dynamically, but when you scale against probability you start getting into trouble.

To me, probability bonus's shouldn't approach, let alone challenge, the 100% mark. When anyone is packing a bonus of+15 or greater on a d20 roll, alarm bells start going off in my head.

If a best case scenario(and I'm talking you have eeked every last bonus that exists in the game) saw you with a+10 and that's about what I would be happy with

As much as scaling attack or defenses differently and at all causes problems...

It just feels right.

It feels wierd if my high level guy misses a low level dude regularly. A major difference in level should feel swingy.

When I play a much better person in a game, I should catch a butt whooping or get really really lucky to win.

Thalionalfirin

First Post
Whenever you scale (damage and BAB) and (HP and defense) you increase quadratic in power.

Old ADnD did nicely by not scaling damage and not scaling defense by level, so your increase in power is rather linear and combats get less swingy. Quadratic wizards were held in line, by (saving throws and HP) that went up.

5e should go back to a linear scale for fighters. And as it is now, their idea is NO AC and NO BAB bonus per level. Which does exactly this, but swinginess is not reduced as much as in earlier editions.

I hope DDN moves back in this direction. Hit points and saving throws improving were key to making this all work. Your increased hit points represented the ability to stave off that killing or incapacitating blow and your better saving throws reflected your luck/mojo/fortitude/whatever to avoid those nasty spell or spell like effects. I think everything changed in the later editions when saving throws never got better relative to the things they were saving against. To me, it never felt like you were getting better.

Damage and armor class went up by improving gear only (and the odd stat increase which usually was gear related as well) but until you got past 18, even the stat increases didn't increase it much.

Hit points were lower so I never got the feeling of "whittling away" at a monster's HPs for a long time. Low HD creatures were still a threat in groups because AC didn't improve and PCs didn't have huge numbers of hit points.

I think BAB (or whatever they call it) WILL increase over time but it'll be a lot flatter than the later editions

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads