• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Flavor" (as in "flavor-text"), does it irk you?

Does the word "flavor" irk you?

• Yes, I find it gauche and insipid.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • No, it's cool. Pass the salt please!

Votes: 62 53.9%
  • Sometimes it irks me, but not all the time.

Votes: 36 31.3%

For some reason, it makes me cringe when people refer to the story element or roleplaying elements (as opposed to roll-playing) as "flavor." I can't stand the phrase "flavor text". I have even heard some people refer to sections of the player's handbook, such as parts of spell descriptions, as flavor text. Also, sometimes people say they choose certain skills for their characters for the sake of "flavor".

Is this just my pet peeve, or do others share my reaction?

Geez, it looks like I'm the only one! I might have to have myself examined by a psychiatrist to find out what is behind this peculiar revulsion. Isn't there ANYONE out there who sympathizes with my point of view?

I'd like to know what the guys who checked sometimes were thinking.

Orias

First Post
Giving your character skills & feats specifically for flavor rules. Having character flaws for flavor rules. Having character advantages for flavor, instead of for making the game easier, rules. Flavor rules, no fisticuffs.

Orias said:
Giving your character skills & feats specifically for flavor rules. Having character flaws for flavor rules. Having character advantages for flavor, instead of for making the game easier, rules. Flavor rules, no fisticuffs.

I agree with you absolutely. It's just that I would prefer a different word choice.

icebreaker

First Post
so is it the word flavor or text that bothers you? or is it just the combination of these two words that is causing you stress?

Ummm I suggest you book time with a psychiatrist at the soonest possible conveniance :D :p

It's only the word flavor, as applied to stuff in gaming.

I don't mind the use of the word when it applies to food. That's normal. I just don't like it when people talk about gaming stuff as "flavor".

By the way, thank you to whoever the other guy was who voted YES. I'm glad at least someone understands how I feel!

RSKennan

Explorer
I agree that that term belittles the story elements of a game, if that is what you're saying, but on neutral ground, when we are all discussing roleplaying from our disparate perspectives, it isn't so bad. I voted for sometimes. "Crunchy" is almost more bothersome to me.

Xeeker

First Post
I don't see how the word flavor could possibly affect you in any way, actually what you should do is just say that the hand of god smites the player for 1 point of subduel damage every time that word is spoken: eg: "I'd like some flavorful meat ple..SMACK!"

Remove ads