• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flavouring the Powers

theskyfullofdust

First Post
When it comes to using the powers in the game, how are players going to describe them? Some seem simple enough, Magic Missile for example, but what about the various marking and challenge powers, how do people plan of describing them during the game?

I'm guessing that the PHB will have bits on that, but I'm curious to see if anyone out there has been thinking about this, and what you've come up with.

For example, how about the paladin's marking power: imagine it as a shining light from the paladin (from his sword maybe?), dazzling his opponent, distracting him and demoralising him if he attacks someone else (since Hit Points are abstract, this could work).

Or those that just sound stupid?

hamishspence

Adventurer
flavour

Radiant: vanilla
Necrotic: cabbage
Acid: lime
Thunder: chocolate
Ice: menthol
Fire: chilli

etc. But I'm guessing hats not what you had in mind :D

med stud

First Post
Your suggestions are fine :)

My interpretation of the paladin's mark is that the paladin makes a challenge that is sanctified by the gods. For example, if the paladin marks a gnoll, the god of the paladin and the god of gnolls put their honour at stake. If the individual challenged by the paladin doesn't abide to the challenge, that individual is punished by pain and weakened resolve. A personal house rule is that the challenge is called off if the paladin doesn't follow through with it, that is, no marking and running away.

The other abilities are pretty much straightforward IMO... Except possible Tide of Iron against a large opponent. In that case it's not about the fighter smashing the shield into the opponent, physically moving it, it's about bringing the enemy off balance by being in it's face.

theskyfullofdust

First Post
hamishspence said:
Radiant: vanilla
Necrotic: cabbage
Acid: lime
Thunder: chocolate
Ice: menthol
Fire: chilli

etc. But I'm guessing hats not what you had in mind :D

Hell, that works for me. How often do players give their magic, whatever, such rich flavours, or aromas.

Mix taste and smell, even better:

Necrotic: tastes like ash, smells like cabbage
Acid: tastes like lime, smells like lemons
Thunder: chocolate, but smells for mint
Ice: menthol for both, or cool mint perhaps
Fire: chilli for the tastebuds, with a hint of rosemary :)

theskyfullofdust

First Post
med stud said:
My interpretation of the paladin's mark is that the paladin makes a challenge that is sanctified by the gods. For example, if the paladin marks a gnoll, the god of the paladin and the god of gnolls put their honour at stake. If the individual challenged by the paladin doesn't abide to the challenge, that individual is punished by pain and weakened resolve. A personal house rule is that the challenge is called off if the paladin doesn't follow through with it, that is, no marking and running away.

That's a good interpretation of it. I like that, a lot.

Remove ads