• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaw Curious: How should such a character act, think, and/or be unable to resist?

a-d

First Post
Flaw

You are easily distracted by the sights and sounds around you.
Effect: You suffer a -2 penalty on Listen and Spot checks. You also suffer a -2 penalty on initiative rolls.
Suggested Class/Race: Gnome
Source:Dragon Magazine #328 (Nobody’s Perfect – New Flaws for Nonhumans)

I have a character with the Flaw and plan to give it to others, but am uncertain how such a character should act. Especially since one of the characters is supposed to be extremely shy.

Any suggestions on how or even if the two aspects of such a personality would meld?

What would the differences be between a Curious character and an extremely shy character who's Curious?

Oryan77

Adventurer
What would the differences be between a Curious character and an extremely shy character who's Curious?

Maybe you can think of it like a wallflower. Or like a faerie that is very curious and buzzes around you, but then hides from you when you notice it.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Shy people are slow to warm up to other people, and situations where they may encounter a lot of strangers. "I don't want to go to the masked ball, there will be a lot of people there I do not know."

Curious people are mostly curious about things and situations. "I have to know what's in that room." "I must know what happens when I pull that lever." "What DOES stalk the woods to the east of the village?"

They can intersect. "I have to see her necklace, but ... I can't approach her. I know! I'll sneak into her room tonight and look at it. I'll just look at it." "I have to see if that book on display is the one we need, but... there's so many people around! I know! If I disguise myself as a guard, nobody will talk to me!"

Now, If 'being curious' is at the level of being a flaw, you really don't get to resist being curious for very long, or otherwise it's not a flaw. If you're somehow prevented from the object you're curious about, you'll try any sort of thing to achieve your goal, and you'll be miserable until you attain it. If 'Being shy' is a flaw, then you'll be really terribly uncomfortable in the presence of anyone not your close friend. If it's not a flaw, then you can overcome it in some circumstances or act relatively naturally in the presence of strangers.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Curious & Shy:

If you Really want to look at something, you look at it. Perhaps, you take interest in the sorts of things other people don't. As you're looking at it, mumble more to yourself than telling other people your thoughts, or simply wait until everyone else has spoken before sharing your thoughts. Stand as much out of the way as you can, while still studying your object. Be interested, and embarrassed that you're interested, enough to be awkward, but not enough to stop you from looking.

WayneLigon's suggestion about sneaking in a room to study a necklace is a great one. Be a little (or a lot) oddball and creepy, without meaning to be creepy. You're curiosity compels you to more toward something and so you do so without thinking, than your shyness makes you aware that what you are doing looks awkward, so you withdraw slightly, but then go forward anyway. You know, in the game, don't try this IRL or the cops will be all over you =Þ.

Observe a shy 2 year old, because toddle curiosity overcomes shyness. Do what they do, especially if you're a Halfling or a Gnome.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads