• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaws in your game

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Third,

Do you think if I gave you a greyhound bus ticket, you'd come up and see what's wrong with me keeping or finding players? ;)

Pants

First Post
Hmmmm....

- I'm particularly bad at going off on tangents at times

- I sometimes don't realize when the players aren't enjoying themselves until it's far too late to fix it, thus wasting an entire session

- I plan ahead waaaay too much, usually resulting in me not having anything prepared for the next session but having a lot prepared for a session 1 month away that usually gets trashed after PC actions during the next session :D

- Too many ideas. I've trashed too many campaigns because I have way too many different campaign ideas ("Okay, this next campaign is a Greyhawk campaign..." two months later "I have this sweet idea for a steampunk campaign, everyone gets a gun!" three months later "Okay, we're gonna try out this Eberron world" etc). I've curbed it quite a bit.

Quickleaf

Legend
The flaw I see in my role-playing is inconsistent rulings because I often ad-lib rules either because (a) I don't know the rules or (b) I don't want to interrupt flow and look them up.

Interestingly, none of my players have complained about this, and some actually like it. Instead they feel that my NPCs sometimes overshadow the heroes' "coolness" (not that they're in the spotlight, but that they're so interesting and compelling), and I can cheat to keep NPCs alive.

My flaw? I am a tweak-a-holic. Not a game-session can go by without me wanting to test out a new change to the ruleset. I usually do a good job of repressing the urge for a while, then end up binging on a flurry of house rules.. most of which don't pan out as being good enough to remember when it comes time to use them :)

My other flaw.. I sometimes expect the players to see the obvious clue laid out in the conversations with various NPC's... I guess dropping vieled, in character hints that refer to monster ecology is a bad thing when my players are not quite as versed in the monster manual as I thought they were.

Oh well :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Pants,

I'm offering! I need someone to test my games. :p :) *is making an open offer but figures specific ones might get more replies...*

Dragonbait

Explorer
Oooo, self-depreciation time! Joys of joys!
My flaws:

- I get bored with campaigns after 2 to 3 months. Players that are into their character, and are into each other's characters keep me interested. I ranted about how this rarely ever happens in my groups (players caring about PCs other than their own) but deleted it. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I must be coddiling this attitude somehow.
- I GM like I have the director's commentary playing at the same time. I'll state when I made a mistake, forgot my "lines", when there is a rough spot in the story I couldn't work out during the planning phase, etc.
- I sometimes fall into "let the players figure out how they fit in" role too many times. I'll make a dungeon when the players make characters that focus on investigation, I'll put traps that have a Disable requirement appropriate for the group's level, but not know that the rogue wanted to be a stealth fighter and did not put much into DD, so the trap can't be disabled.
- I know what I need to do to have a great campaign, but I do not often do it. I *know* I should be looking at the player's skill distribution and equipment to see what they are building their characters for. I *know* that I enjoy reoccurring NPCs and villain groups. I *know* that having pictures of the NPCs (drawn by me or someone else) helps. I *know* that I get bored when GMing dungeon hacks. Yet, I don't pay attention to this stuff.

Still, I am the main GM in any group I play in. I am asked to GM by every group I play in. Over and over again, to the point where some players will not play in games GMed by anyone but me (my fans?) And I have been told that it is entertaining to watch my games by non-gamers. What do I say to that? They clearly have never played in a good campaing with a real GM that knows what he is doing, or else they would know that I suck. :heh: :\ :(

WayneLigon

Adventurer
- I have terrible dice luck most of the time. I mean, really 'everyone comments on it' bad. Not 'I remember the flaws and forget the successes' bad, either. Once I blow five or six rolls in a stretch, I just want to go home at that point. I depsise having a character unable to do something really great because of the damn dice.
- I plan poorly for campaigns.
- My major GM stumbling block: I have to like your characters, too. If people create characters I can't stand, the game is not really much fun for me, and I have a list as long as your arm as to things I can't stand to see. I can put up with a lot of it, but it really does detract from the enjoyment I'd otherwise get from running.

Simm

First Post
I tend to create too many shade of grey. All my villains are sympathetic and its hard for me to let go of a NPC villain that has had more work put into it than the entire party that destroys him.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads