• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Fleshing out the Variant Rule: Skills with Different Abilities

snickersnax

Explorer
I've been working through my house rules and decided that skills with different abilities made a lot of sense to me. The main idea is that there are some skills that work well with multiple stats. Here is what I have so far. Any other ideas?

Blue for changes or additions to RAW variant

Strength:
Athletics: Grappling and Shoving are Strength(Athletics) checks and can be contested by Strength (Athletics)
Intimidation: Strength(Intimidation) can be used to Intimidate or to contest Intimidation (the classic example is two giants comparing their place in the Ordning... the intimidation phase takes
place before and maybe instead of an actual Strength contest (see MM Frost Giant)

Dexterity:
Acrobatics:
Grappling and Shoving are Strength(Athletics) checks and can be contested by Dexterity (Acrobatics)
Sleight of Hand: contested by Wisdom (Perception)
Stealth: contested by Wisdom (Perception)
Performance: stringed instrument and drumming are Dexterity (Performance). dancing is a Dexterity (Performance) check
Intimidation: Dexterity (Intimidation) can be used to Intimidate or to contest Intimidation (sometimes it works ..sometimes it doesn't... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5eqNp8eYp0 )
Constitution:
Constitution (Athletics) is used for endurance checks
Constitution (Intimidation) can be used to Intimidate or to contest Intimidation ( Showing off scars or damaging yourself is a classical way to intimidate your opponent and prove that you don't care
about pain. Trolls are really good at this type of intimidation in my world)

Intelligence:
Arcana, History, Nature, Religion: I think there may be a great opportunity here for an intelligence buff to prepared spells for all classes, but that is a story for another thread
Deception: Intelligence (Deception) can be used to Deceive or to contest a Deception. Intelligence is already used for fooling people with forgeries and disguises, it can be used for elaborate stories as well.

Medicine: can use Intelligence (Medicine) for a Medicine check. Smart people usually make the best doctors, wisdom is for healers...
Intimidation: Intelligence can be used to Intimidate or to contest Intimidate (If you're going to try to make an ogre feel like an idiot, he's going to contest with a strength (intimidate) so you better be ready for a throw down)
Wisdom
No changes
Charisma:
Deception: countered by Intelligence (Investigation or Deception) or Wisdom (Insight or Deception) or Charisma (Deception) ( You can't kid a kidder)
Intimidation: countered by Wisdom (Insight) or Charisma (Intimidation) or Strength(Intimidation) or Dexterity (Intimidation) or Intelligence (Intimidation) or Constitution (Intimidation)
Persuasion: countered by Wisdom (Insight) or Charisma (Persuasion)
Animal Handling: can use Charisma (Animal Handling) instead of Wisdom (animal handling) - persuasion for beasts

Last edited:

Remove ads