• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Flight ability: Does this make the Aarakocra overpowered?

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Hovering, but not hovering as the ability.
If it pleases you, have the player say they are flying directly upward at the same speed that gravity is pulling them down. This seems like it would fit your requirements.
If saying this becomes tiring or drawn-out, let them hover.
Plus, movement - like everything else in D&D - is an abstraction. A character who doesn't move mechanically - who doesn't leave their square - isn't stock still. They move within the square, move limbs, dodge attacks, jockey for position, seek openings.

I have no problem at all seeing an aaracockra maintaining altitude while not doing anything that game mechanics would call movement - or at least no more problem than I have with those wings producing enough lift to carry an even modestly geared-up human-sized adventurer airborne in the first place.

Horwath

Legend
IMHO, all flying races that do not have HOVER should have "minimum" forward speed" listed like in 3.5e.

The better flyer a race is less minimum speed is required.

1. Very good flying. Hover; yes. Minimum forward speed 0ft.

2. good flying. Hover no*(can hover in place by spending action for it). minimum forwad speed 10ft. can circle in 10ft radius.

3. average flying. hover no. minimum forward speed 20ft. can circle in 20ft radius.

4. poor flying. hover no. minimum forward speed 30ft. circle in 30ft radius.

5. clumsy fling. hover no. minimum forward speed 50ft. circle in 50ft radius.

IMHO, all flying races that do not have HOVER should have "minimum" forward speed" listed like in 3.5e.

The better flyer a race is less minimum speed is required.

1. Very good flying. Hover; yes. Minimum forward speed 0ft.

2. good flying. Hover no*(can hover in place by spending action for it). minimum forwad speed 10ft. can circle in 10ft radius.

3. average flying. hover no. minimum forward speed 20ft. can circle in 20ft radius.

4. poor flying. hover no. minimum forward speed 30ft. circle in 30ft radius.

5. clumsy fling. hover no. minimum forward speed 50ft. circle in 50ft radius.

This concept was around in 1e AD&D. Every flier has a maneuverability class rating that covered all of this. Most flying creatures with wings of a non-insect like nature ( class C through E) needed to move at least half their maximum air speed to stay in the air.

So the majority of flying creatures worked more like airplanes and less like helicopters. I use the same system for 5E.

mellored

Legend
Plus, movement - like everything else in D&D - is an abstraction. A character who doesn't move mechanically - who doesn't leave their square - isn't stock still. They move within the square, move limbs, dodge attacks, jockey for position, seek openings.

I have no problem at all seeing an aaracockra maintaining altitude while not doing anything that game mechanics would call movement - or at least no more problem than I have with those wings producing enough lift to carry an even modestly geared-up human-sized adventurer airborne in the first place.
This.

The aaracockra can simply fly a tight little circles if he doesn't want to "move".

So the majority of flying creatures worked more like airplanes and less like helicopters. I use the same system for 5E.
I see them as humming birds.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
This concept was around in 1e AD&D. Every flier has a maneuverability class rating that covered all of this. Most flying creatures with wings of a non-insect like nature ( class C through E) needed to move at least half their maximum air speed to stay in the air.

Minimum forward speed was a logistical and tactical nightmare in older editions - seriously, just a huge pain.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Just a note on spelling: Aarakocra.

It'd be interesting to use the Attack Wing dials & manuever templates for flying creatures...

Cheers!

Werebat

Explorer
Ah, the Aarakocra. The ultimate "sucks to be you!" race.

Low level party containing an Aarakocra is traveling across the plains and gets attacked by a large pack of dire wolves. Birdman takes wing and soars above, providing one less target for the wolves to focus on while croaking to the rest of the party, "Sucks-to-be-yooouu!!!" in his best birdy squawk.

Repeat that maneuver umpteen times and its the party that the birdman will have to be worried about.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Doesn't really matter what the particular festering problem is, when a dysfunctional group of people sit around a table it will always be something...

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
Ah, the Aarakocra. The ultimate "sucks to be you!" race.

Low level party containing an Aarakocra is traveling across the plains and gets attacked by a large pack of dire wolves. Birdman takes wing and soars above, providing one less target for the wolves to focus on while croaking to the rest of the party, "Sucks-to-be-yooouu!!!" in his best birdy squawk.

Repeat that maneuver umpteen times and its the party that the birdman will have to be worried about.
I'd rather know early that I had a player who does things like this, instead of waiting for their human rogue to randomly switch sides during a major battle and announce how much being you sucks, so the tendency can be addreaaed when it's merely annoying and not campaign-destroying.

Remove ads