Flintstones Technology in D&D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Terry Pratchett has the Ankh-Morpork City Watch using various Imp-powered devices

then there are the Gargoyle watchmen...

Henry

Autoexreginated
In a friend's D&D campaign, we were Fighting in (basically) World War 2, and once had to make a covert drop deeply into enemy territory. So, we flew in on Roc-back at high-altitude, and, each with a feather fall token in hand, made a HALO (High-altitude, Low Opening) jump into enemy territory. :D

Other suggestions:

Aboleth mucus as a means to avoid the Bends at extreme sea depths ("fluid breathing")

Captured Barghest as a form of Capital Punishment (likely only by Evil nations, though).

Trained Destrachans or Delvers for mining equipment.

Shriekers as an Alarm system (turn one or two loose in your house at night when you go to bed, put them up in the morning in a dark sealed box. Only long-term cost is some potting soil!)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Dragonbait said:
Compared to other ways of making witnesses dissapear, this tactic would be surprisingly benign.

Killing them is actually worse. The dead can be made to speak, their spirits can be contacted and questioned, etc. Erasing their memories in this way requires some pretty high-powered magic to reverse, too.

Henry

Autoexreginated
WayneLigon said:
Killing them is actually worse. The dead can be made to speak, their spirits can be contacted and questioned, etc. Erasing their memories in this way requires some pretty high-powered magic to reverse, too.

Yes, I agree -- killing someone in a D&D universe to keep them quiet is a bad idea. :) Next best thing would be to kill them and turn them into a mindless undead, and then lock away the undead body. Also, Psions have some memory modifying spells, but that's not a "monstrous" solution. :)

mhensley

First Post
WayneLigon said:

Maybe pixies would be used by good societies to deal with criminals. They have their memory erased and then are trained to be good. There was a great episode of Babylon 5 where this idea was explored.

Kormydigar

First Post
HEY...............HEY.............Just spotted this thread...............HEY...........HEY.........
What's the deal with Fred Flintstone's feet?..............HEY...He's only got, like three toes.........HEY........Maybe he lost the other two, starting the car.

rvalle

First Post
Tonguez said:
Terry Pratchett has the Ankh-Morpork City Watch using various Imp-powered devices

then there are the Gargoyle watchmen...

Yep, imp cameras and, as a corollary, used as speed control devices to take pictures of carts moving too fast.

Imp powered PDA's.

Golem's used to do icky/dangerous jobs: i.e. working underwater/fluid, in poisonous gas ect.

I've always liked the heat removal fan on top of the Troll Guard's head.

Hmmm, seems like there is more but can't think of any.

rv

solkan_uk

First Post
I was planning a campaign setting based around this sort of principle. It was an old world where everything had been pretty much tamed and the various creatures of D&D had filled niches in the civilised world.

SteelDraco

First Post
I always pictured the Flintstones when using the lifeshaping halflings in Dark Sun - they had kind of the same feel, including using dinosaurs for a lot of the base creatures. Lots of fun, too.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Kormydigar said:
HEY...............HEY.............Just spotted this thread...............HEY...........HEY.........
What's the deal with Fred Flintstone's feet?..............HEY...He's only got, like three toes.........HEY........Maybe he lost the other two, starting the car.

Yeah, WTF man, wtf? That has always bugged the hell outta me! I never noticed it till Fred and Barny were in the tire commercial. Some kind of reverse.. cat.. hand/foot thing going on.. (cats have something like 4 digits on their front paws, and 5 on their rear paws).

WayneLigon said:

Just kill them, and take a toe or ear. Raise dead won't work, you would need a high level spell, and once you're dealing with comitting crimes against people that can use said high-level spells, wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get away with it anyways?

Last edited:

Remove ads