• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flowchart of the Editions

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Just a note, but in his interviews back in '77 (I've been perusing early White Dwarf again) Gary said Advanced was a different game. I think the Classic boxsets are too, but he didn't mention them at the time. But he was certain about AD&D being not the same game.

RFisher

Explorer
My thoughts (...though I don't think anything that hasn’t already been mentioned):

• A line should go directly from oD&D + supplements to AD&D.
  • The line between AD&D and Holmes should be pointed from AD&D to Holmes. Holmes was encouraged to include stuff from the in-progress AD&D, but Gygax always seemed not too keen on Holmes’ own ideas.
  • Moldvay/Cook/Marsh should have lines leading too it from both oD&D and Holmes. While they were certainly influenced by Holmes, it’s clear that they also looked directly back to oD&D rather than just updating Holmes. (The Expert Set was really a replacement for the oD&D box set. The Companion—at this stage, B.F. Before Frank (^_^)—was envisioned as a replacement for the supplements. At least, that’s how I see it based on convos with old TSR people.)
  • The line from classic to 3e is entirely correct. I recall the designers themselves saying so. Although, personally, that means less to me than how much I recall thinking that they’d gone to classic for inspiration when first reading 3e.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
If you are not including nonD&D books, okay. But Ars Magica had a big influence on 3.0 due to the fact that Johnathan Tweet wrote the PHB (and I know some D&D purists don't like me mentioning that) and he used a very similar task resolution system (similar being that a d20 was used instead of a d10) and the Barbarian's Rage is a take off of the Berserk Virtue in ArM.

Last edited:

RFisher

Explorer
Achan hiArusa said:
If you are not including nonD&D books, okay. But Ars Magica had a big influence on 3.0 due to the fact that Johnathan Tweet wrote the PHB (and I know some D&D purists don't like me mentioning that) and he used a very similar task resolution system (similar being that a d20 was used instead of a d10) and the Barbarian's Rage is a take off of the Berserk Virtue in ArM.

If you want to include non-D&D games, then 3e is going to have a huge list of antecedents.

If you want to include non-D&D books...(O_O)

Remove ads