• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fluff me this: female tiefling + fey pact warlock!

wolff96

First Post
Klaus said:
As the title says, explain me a female tiefling warlock that has the fey pact.

She was born a part of the lost royal line of the ancient Tiefling Empire. Her parents, proud of their heritage, pushed her to train in the ways of the Warlock, preparing her for her 'royal duty'. This despite the fact that they live in poverty, sure in their paranoia that their enemies are still everywhere.

The daughter -- being a dutiful child -- follows their wishes and trains as a Warlock. But when it's finally time for the ritual and her future infernal patron appears before her... she flees in terror from the horror ahead.

Fleeing from her parents and avoiding anyone that might want to drag her back home, she escapes into the woods. While fleeing bandits, she unwittingly stumbles into the depths of the forest and across the invisible boundaries into the Feywild. An unusual type of prey for the Wyld Hunt, she is soon pursued and captured by powerful fey-lords... who decide, capriciously, that she might be some fun if returned to her home with a new source of power.

Her parents, of course, are furious. They use what little they have to finance a much bigger ritual -- and the warlock's intended infernal patron is freed on the Prime to hunt down the wayward child.

----------------------------------------------------------

That even gives a starting quest for the character -- finding a way to stop a powerful creature before it can destroy her. :)

nute

Explorer
For the same reason any fey pact patron chooses to give their boon to a warlock - because it amuses them to do so. As for why a tiefling would, however...

a) Parents were a tiefling anthropologist and a human sociologist who continually argued the nature v. nurture debate. Trying to prove her tiefling father wrong when he claimed that the tiefling bloodline would always rise to the surface and result in the kind of temperament that brought about the fall of Bael Turath, our would-be warlock in a fit of teenage rebellion went out and sought information on how to make a pact with forces beyond mortal ken, and discovered a bond to the Feywild that touched something deep within her soul.

b) Illiterate tiefling can't read the sign on the door that says "Fey Warlock Trainer", and figures she's going to learn how to summon demons.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Tieflings have something else in their bloodline. Everyone assumed her blood was that of the devils who intermingled with the ancient tiefling empire, but the warlock's patron says that her heritage actually comes from the Feywild. Of course, the fey are notorious liars ...

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Fluff me this: Why would any tiefling warlock willingly align themselves with the infernal pact now? Isn't their current "condition" directly caused from such pacts made long ago? Wouldn't they naturally look for some other source of power to cure themselves or avoid further punishment?

Lackhand

First Post
Klaus said:
As the title says, explain me a female tiefling warlock that has the fey pact.
Hmm. I think I need more details, but...

I tried so hard to be good.

As a girlchild, my mother's blood made me an outcast among my father's people, even in the greatest cities. To have children make the sign of the horns at your back when you leave, to have them spit before you to ward off the evil eye when you come; to have adults -- full grown adults -- cross the street rather than have your shadow fall across them?
It makes one lonely. In the greatest of cities, where my father let rooms to a rapid succession of boarders; where I spent every day vying for room in the market square to sell substandard fruit; where nothing but ones clothes were private... I was lonely.

The High Holy Days were the worst. My father would go to the Temple, and kneel before Father Solace of Pelor. I went with him to that building of marble and light, until I turned ten. I learned something then.

Faith itches. The stares of the faithful, the murmurs of the superstitious, and just the calm and infinite wisdom of the gods speaking through an otherwise kindly man: You Do Not Belong Here..

So I stopped going. I went out from the city and into the woods, away from men and dwarves and horses and dogs. Into the places of leaves and of quiet pools. At first for a day. Then for longer, and longer, and longer still, as my father noticed my leaving less and less.

It was there that I met the Lord of the Glade. He was green and tall and broad and had a radiant grin. He smelled of clover and of rainfall. I was a filthy twelve year old, and awkward, and unlovely.
He bade me welcome to his glade, and his voice was like unto how I had always imagined that a swan would call to its mate.
He asked me was to dance with him and to leave my father and my gods behind me and to be unashamed.
I fell in love instantly, and forever.

Last edited:

ejja_1

First Post
The parents of the poor afflicted child abandoned her in the forest as an infant due to her obviuos curse, she was then taken in by fey and raised as one of their own.

Mercule

Adventurer
This:
Leatherhead said:
Fluff me this: Why would any tiefling warlock willingly align themselves with the infernal pact now? Isn't their current "condition" directly caused from such pacts made long ago? Wouldn't they naturally look for some other source of power to cure themselves or avoid further punishment?

Or this:
Lackhand said:
Hmm. I think I need more details, but...

I tried so hard to be good.

As a girlchild, my mother's blood made me an outcast among my father's people, even in the greatest cities. To have children make the sign of the horns at your back when you leave, to have them spit before you to ward off the evil eye when you come; to have adults -- full grown adults -- cross the street rather than have your shadow fall across them?
It makes one lonely. In the greatest of cities, where my father let rooms to a rapid succession of boarders; where I spent every day vying for room in the market square to sell substandard fruit; where nothing but ones clothes were private... I was lonely.

The High Holy Days were the worst. My father would go to the Temple, and kneel before Father Solace of Pelor. I went with him to that building of marble and light, until I turned ten. I learned something then.

Faith itches. The stares of the faithful, the murmurs of the superstitious, and just the calm and infinite wisdom of the gods speaking through an otherwise kindly man: You Do Not Belong Here..

So I stopped going. I went out from the city and into the woods, away from men and dwarves and horses and dogs. Into the places of leaves and of quiet pools. At first for a day. Then for longer, and longer, and longer still, as my father noticed my leaving less and less.

It was there that I met the Lord of the Glade. He was green and tall and broad and had a radiant grin. He smelled of clover and of rainfall. I was a filthy twelve year old, and awkward, and unlovely.
He bade me welcome to his glade, and his voice was like unto how I had always imagined that a swan would call to its mate.
He asked me was to dance with him and to leave my father and my gods behind me and to be unashamed.
I fell in love instantly, and forever.
I'd think there would be a significant number of tieflings who ran as far and as fast as they could from their heritage. After all, if you have fiendish blood, how do you know you aren't bound for the underworld no matter what you do?

Permanently binding yourself to anything else seems pretty sane, actually. And the fey, while alien, are a lot more reasonable than the things that make star pacts. I might be willing to spend eternity with the right fey. Seems like a great, rational choice for self-preservation in the metaphysical sense.

Remove ads