• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flumphs!

Flumph Usage Poll

• As a player, I've actually played a flumph.

Votes: 0 0.0%

bilwar

First Post
As a DM, I have used Flumphs as serious monsters, had to show the players the entry in the MM to prove that they actually were harmless.
I like Nycanada's idea about them being stitchers of worlds, makes me want to use flumphs again as a serious monster, for my new group

Celebrim

Legend
I like Flumphs.

They are actually a very well designed monster. They have unique mechanics. They present a tactical challenge and they have some balance and some level irrelevancy so they that never becomes a complete pushover. Mechanically that's exactly what I want to see in a monster.

The big problem with the Flumph therefore is the fluff, not the crunch. And the problem with the fluff is not that it isn't interesting, because it is. The problem is that it is completely tangental to most DM's setting. It's a monster that feels most comfortable in completely alien science fiction world, not in a traditional fantasy setting. Without an alien world to call its own, it just clashes with the background. Flumphs in a world with unique alien fauna and flora and where everything was as wierd as they were would work fine. Flumphs in a world of dire bears, centaurs, and dragons - not so much.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Yes, yes it did.

There should never be a case that D&D takes itself so seriously that there isn't room for flumph.

Flumphs for 5E!

And [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] did the flumph ever make it into 4E?

Richards

Legend
I have not only used flumphs in my campaigns, I even cobbled together a flumph miniature out of white paper and a bent paper clip to use as a stand and to hold it up at an appropriate flying height.

Johnathan

Remove ads