• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FLURRY OF BLOWS!

Jackfrost

First Post
I Have been sitting near in my desk for long hours trying to figure this one out! Anyone know exactly how it works with the level ups by the PHB?

Carnifex

First Post
What do you mean?

Flurry of blows is just effectively giving the monk character free ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting when she uses her fists, that's all.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Basically, you gain one more attack at your highest Base Attack (or unarmed base attack), and then all attacks are penalized by -2.

This should be in the rules forum though.

Rav

Jackfrost

First Post
But what are the advatages of this?
some number/some number/ some nuber/ some number....
what are those nubers and how do they compute?

Carnifex

First Post
What it means is as Rav said.

For example, say a monk had, as his base attack bonus, +8/+3.

So he gets one attack at +8, and one at +3.

Flurry of blows gives him an additional attack with his primary attack bonus, but penalises them all by 2.

So he ends up with +6/+6/+1

Does that help any?

Jackfrost

First Post
but with what you said it seems unbalanced. at first you get a nice 8/3 but when you do flurry of blows you get 6/6/1?
That is more then the second number by 3 and less then the first by 1? I have a monk in my campaign that is hording all the monster. He takes on everyone with this class feat and it seemed not practical. Is there any way to balance this out?

Carnifex

First Post
Okay, let me rephrase the above.

The monk would have his two usual atatcks - but rather than being at +8/+3, they are at +6/+1 - a clear lowering of both by 2, agree?

He also gets 1 additional attack at +6.

I don't see whats so unbalancing about it - it works on exactly the same basis as the dual wielding combat rules.

Jackfrost

First Post
Ok thanks. I understand it now and I'm feeling good. This topic has been discussed with me for many days now and as a dm i never was adle to get an answer. Thanks :D

BadMojo

First Post
IIRC, someone crunched the numbers on Flurry of Blows ages ago and it turns out to a slightly better version of TWF + Ambidexterity. This is, of course, balanced by the fact that a monk can only use Flurry of Blows with unarmed strike or one of the "special" monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, siangham).

Remove ads