• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying and AOP

BobTheNob

First Post
Forgive me if there is a really obvious question, but I havent stumbled across the entry I am after. With overland flight (Such as many powers provide you with) I can understand that difficult terrain is not an issue, but what about oppotunity attacks?

Havent hit the circumstance where it would be a problem, but one of these days someone will pull out a flight ability and will definately argue that flighted movement (even the ones that require you to land at the end) would clear you of threats, but being able to do normal moves without provoking opp attacks is a very powerful thing indeed.

So, is there a book reference some cant point me to? Or maybe you have some game experience with this?

Dalzig

First Post
The only way flight would allow you to avoid Opportunity Attacks is if you are physically out of reach. For most creatures, this means you must never be adjacent to them to avoid OAs.

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, you shouldn't necessarily involve the 3d rules for this, but, they can fly straight up, then over, then down.

However, that flight straight up involves leaving their square. They can probably fly over obstacles, but adjacent enemies can certainly get their hits in.

And a creature with overland movement isn't doing anything -but- flying on their turn, or else they crash. So they have movement to spare.

BobTheNob

First Post
Well, you shouldn't necessarily involve the 3d rules for this, but, they can fly straight up, then over, then down.

However, that flight straight up involves leaving their square. They can probably fly over obstacles, but adjacent enemies can certainly get their hits in.

And a creature with overland movement isn't doing anything -but- flying on their turn, or else they crash. So they have movement to spare.
Thats pretty much how I was looking at it. If movement other provokes an AOP (like normal movement) then enemies ajacent to your start and end square get AOP. Everything else in between does not

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads