• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

flying and Dispel

Winternight

First Post
If a demon has
Speed: 40/fly 30 (poor)

but has no wings (e.g. armanite of MotP) can it be asumable that is is a spell like abilitie?
If yes what happens with a dispel magic cast on him.
What DC would that dispel magic have ?

mikebr99

Explorer
Winternight said:
If a demon has
Speed: 40/fly 30 (poor)

but has no wings (e.g. armanite of MotP) can it be asumable that is is a spell like abilitie?
If yes what happens with a dispel magic cast on him.
What DC would that dispel magic have ?
If indeed the ability to fly is spell-like... which I can't verify... it would end like the fly spell ends... slowly, so the creature doesn't take any damage getting to ground, assuming he is close enough (see fly spell). YMMV

Mike

Mal-2

First Post
Winternight said:
If a demon has Speed: 40/fly 30 (poor) but has no wings (e.g. armanite of MotP) can it be asumable that is is a spell like abilitie?

No. I would assume the ability is either (Ex) if the creature has wings, or (Su) if it does not. In either case, you can't dispel the ability with Dispel Magic

Mal-2

Edit: typo

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Thew rules are unclear, so you'll need to decide for yourself how their flight works.

My gut instinct is that they originally gave the creature wings, but decided to weaken it a bit and took the wings away and forgot to remove the flight speed from the description. It'd make more sense without the flight, if you ask me.

The armanite has a listed fly speed of 40' (poor). This means that he can fly about as well as a lage bird. I see few examples of creatures with (poor) flight control that have magical flight abilities, so I'd lean towards an extraordinary explanation.

Winternight

First Post
hong said:
I was just about to edit my post to say that, actually. ;)
I'd said that too, if i were you.:)
Nice page you have (Mind spells did work on me also). Especially the link to that Chick guy. (D&D satanic)
there's rumor that there is a version of that Chick comic with 3e vs 2e do you know about that?

Winternight

First Post
Xavim said:
I just looked at that link and I must say thanks. I really needed a good laugh.
That`s really fantastic. Could be a drok tower or something
The scary thing is it is reall. Did ya see his others comics.
Those guys scare me off.

Remove ads