• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying Clarifications

eriktheguy

First Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a "utility" power... which means its not necessarily meant for combat alone.
So... room full of floor traps? Great! How about we hover and fly over the the room to deactivate everything.
Pool of blood with the much need relic on a pedestal in the middle (nod to Thunderspire)? No prob... how abouts I fly/hover over there, get it and return.

In general, a trap/puzzle that can be defeated by flight, teleportation or good jumps is not a challenge for a paragon tier party.
A trap/puzzle that becomes slightly easier to pass given these circumstances is great, because it makes the party feel awesome for being awesome.

Saagael

First Post
Eh, it isn't really that bad. The current rules are you multiply your fly speed by 5 and subtract that from the distance (in feet apparently), or just subtract your fly speed in squares from the distance fallen. For short distances this means you're unlikely to take any damage. With a fly speed of 4 you can safely fly at altitude 4. Even if you DO fall you can still reduce the damage with an Acrobatics check. Being stunned is no worse.

Wasn't there an errata that removed that rule, along with the rule for needing to maintain a certain speed in order to keep flying without hover? I could have sworn there was an errata to most of the flying rules to make it more straightfoward (and it wasn't updated in the compendium for some reason, because I've seen some mistaken rules in there).

DracoSuave

First Post
That is the errata. Before, if you were knocked prone, or did not move the minimum, you fell the entire distance. Now, you move down your flight speed, THEN fall the remainder.

Mirtek

Hero
That is the errata. Before, if you were knocked prone, or did not move the minimum, you fell the entire distance. Now, you move down your flight speed, THEN fall the remainder.
Actually the safe distance determined by your flight speed was already in the original flying rules

Remove ads