• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying with the Dog

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Harmon said:
Note on the Gentle Leader- if you have a 200 lb dog and you are trying to walk him, you will be able to do so with very little training, its great. :D

Gentle Leaders are wonderful things. Almost always preferrable to a standard collar and leash. The only problem is that passersby have a tendency to mistake them for muzzles, and if your dog has to wear an "Elizabethan collar" after surgery, you can't use a Gentle Leader.

der_kluge

Adventurer
GIS for "flying dog"

flying_dog.jpg

Katcracker

First Post
I've flowen with small dogs before and in one instance actually moved to sit closer to a puppy (the current passenger next to the pup was allergic to dogs).

Sedation- Talk to your vet as you stated you had. Really end of story. If she is hesitant or negative on the idea of sedating him find out if she is just against it, or if there is a specific reason she doesn't like it for terriers. Unless you have a really good reason go with what the doc says there's a reason she has that degree.

I've seen some who have sedated their dog and others who haven't. Honestly though I've never had a bad experience with an animal on a plane... just lots of bad experiences with screaming kids.

Good call on the harness/leash recommendation, if the animal were to escape TSA really looks down on that and you will most likely miss your flight. Only heard of one instance of this with a good friend and luckily in a 4 gate airport with a very well trained dog so he was recaptured right away. Also my vet always recommends that I have at least a copy of the pups papers -showing immunizations. I've never been asked for them, but my vet said he knows they used to be required and they can’t hurt to have just in case.

I noticed a change 2 years ago that some of the airlines are charging for pets and some increased their charges for pets? While others are becoming more restrictive as to how many pets can be in each section of the plane. I guess that was one of the first budget increasing ideas- easy way to get a few extra bucks.
Good luck!

CarlZog

Explorer
Umbran said:
Gentle Leaders are wonderful things. Almost always preferrable to a standard collar and leash. The only problem is that passersby have a tendency to mistake them for muzzles, and if your dog has to wear an "Elizabethan collar" after surgery, you can't use a Gentle Leader.

I've also seen these called Halties, and they are great, but they definitely do cause people to react. I'm always having to explain that it's not a muzzle and that the dog is not viscious.

Carl

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads