• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Focus after a Translation

morgurth

Villager
I've only skimmed the pdf, so maybe someone else can help clarify this.

Is your focus fixed after your first translation? Say you translate from Earth to Aerdyn and pick (instead of dragging) an Aerdyn focus. Is that the one you are set with forever or can you make that choice each time?

I know in an old reddit, they were toying with random focus that could be fixed in place.

I think it would be a lot of book keeping if you kept switching it around though. You would already have enough with the fact that you could change with each new recursion past the ones stated in the guide.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I've only skimmed the pdf, so maybe someone else can help clarify this.

Is your focus fixed after your first translation? Say you translate from Earth to Aerdyn and pick (instead of dragging) an Aerdyn focus. Is that the one you are set with forever or can you make that choice each time?

I know in an old reddit, they were toying with random focus that could be fixed in place.

I think it would be a lot of book keeping if you kept switching it around though. You would already have enough with the fact that you could change with each new recursion past the ones stated in the guide.

I probably shouldn't be replying, as I just discovered The Strange and don't have the PDF, but I remembered reading this page on the web site: http://www.montecookgames.com/translation-between-worlds/

That SEEMS to indicate that the focus would be locked. But it doesn't come right out and say plainly either way.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
It's fixed. If you translate to a recursion you've been to previously you show up with the same focus when you were there before. Dragged foci are the only way around this according to RAW, though the book does say that you could pick a different focus in certain situations that are up to the GM.

Even with the focus being fixed on the first visit, there can still be a lot of opportunities for players to switch their focus. Draggable foci are really available to anyone on any recursion with a little planning, too.

Remove ads