• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Focused ranger. A simple fix for the ranger.

Horwath

Legend
Just to add to the beating of the undead horse...

Ranger class has some problems with Favored Enemy and Natural explorer.
Simply not be able to count on your class features 100% or close to 100%.

Favored enemy and Natural explorer are similar (under)powered.

What about option to be interchangeable?
Or just pick one or the other and get total of 6. Either Favored enemy or Favored terrain.

That would give 2 favored terrains or enemies at 1st level, 2 more at 6th and 1 more at levels 10 and 14.

having 4 favored terrains(out of 8) at 6th level could give nice amount of reliability of having it active most of the time. Unless you really chose poorly.

Favored enemy might be little worse then with 4 favored enemies, but it comes with extra language and if you pick humanoids 4 times and depending on race/background, you could be great bounty hunter/investigator and a superb polyglot with 13 languages.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd say the most simple fix (because I actually like the base effects of favored enemy and natural explorer) is to let the ranger change them. As they gain levels, the amount of time it takes to change them changes. Maybe they first can be changed with down time. Then a long rest. Then a short rest.

Compared to the rogue, it's some expertises that are doubly limited, and advantage on some rolls.

Combine that with reassessing ranger spells and redesigning the strike spells to not use concentration, and I think the ranger is in business.

I do like the movement speeds and temp hp abilities more than natural explorer, though, but not getting expertises as a ranger feels weird.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd say the most simple fix (because I actually like the base effects of favored enemy and natural explorer) is to let the ranger change them. As they gain levels, the amount of time it takes to change them changes. Maybe they first can be changed with down time. Then a long rest. Then a short rest.

Compared to the rogue, it's some expertises that are doubly limited, and advantage on some rolls.

Combine that with reassessing ranger spells and redesigning the strike spells to not use concentration, and I think the ranger is in business.

I do like the movement speeds and temp hp abilities more than natural explorer, though, but not getting expertises as a ranger feels weird.
I’d let them gain the benefits of their favored terrain after spending 1 week in a region or by spending 1 spell slot at the end of a long rest while in the region.

I’d let them treat a specific creature or organization of creatures as their favored enemy by spending some time studying them, or by spending a spell slot at the end of a short or long rest.

And then I’d also give each terrain and enemy type a secondary benefit that is more broadly useful.

You know what. I'd just do the opposite of what the revised Ranger did with Natural Explorer.

It universalised the auto-success and dropped the conditional expertise. I'd do the opposite.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
The biggest issue with Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain is the possibility of your DM limiting/eliminating its use, but an honest session 0 should eliminate this problem (even if it means the ranger is unplayable for the campaign). The other real issue, as noted is the severely limited number of each. I added an extra of each at start, and added several more as you leveled. Thus a level 20 ranger has every terrain and well over half the enemies*. I also allowed the ranger to add their proficiency modifier to damage against a favored enemy, making the benefit much more meaningful.

*I combined beast, ooze and plant to make a single Nature category, as they are each all of pretty limited use, whereas the others are very broad.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Natural Explorer could be defensive, while Favored Enemy is offensive....hmmm. wolfsbane and cold resistence for an arctic ranger to fights a lot of fey, or monstrosities.

Horwath

Legend
Natural Explorer could be defensive, while Favored Enemy is offensive....hmmm. wolfsbane and cold resistence for an arctic ranger to fights a lot of fey, or monstrosities.
yes, I agree with all that.

But this is just using PHB ranger as written, just dropping either Favored enemy or Natural Explorer and taking the other instead.
Focusing on either mastering more terrain or being a better hunter.

Remove ads