• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Focusing on the Game

Mitchbones

First Post
Lately I have had problems with most if not all of my players not really focusing on the game. Just last session I had a player kill an NPC that they were supposed to interrogate just cause "oh I didn't know" I try to make things exciting and throw them dangerous stuff if I seem to start to loose them but it doesn't really seem to work. Even away from the table I can't get them to even read my house rules sheet. All of my players tell me they look forward to our weekly game but I just don't feel it between the inattentiveness and the constant off topic chatter.

Any advice?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Mitchbones said:
Lately I have had problems with most if not all of my players not really focusing on the game. Just last session I had a player kill an NPC that they were supposed to interrogate just cause "oh I didn't know" I try to make things exciting and throw them dangerous stuff if I seem to start to loose them but it doesn't really seem to work. Even away from the table I can't get them to even read my house rules sheet. All of my players tell me they look forward to our weekly game but I just don't feel it between the inattentiveness and the constant off topic chatter.

Any advice?

A good TPK should get them to start to pay attention. :]

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
For years we used The Pig.

The Pig is a piggy bank (which later became a rubber Jabba the Hutt, which became a nazghul bank, which became a coffee can, which returned to a piggy bank.) Everyone could talk until the DM declared the game to have started. Once it did, everyone agreed to the following fines:

$.05 -- out of character pun
$.10 -- non-game-related chatter
$.25 -- Monte Python quotes or out-of-game war stories ("I once had this character who...")

For really bad puns, we'd give a refund!

The fines are minor, of course, and they'd go towards soda. But they did a great job of reminding the players that the game had started, and they needed to focus. When we broke for food, The Pig went out of effect until we were ready to start back up. Worked wonderfully, but it will only help if your players think there's a problem, too.

I'd ask them to try it for four game sessions. By then, you'll know if it helps or not.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I think that describing one of your game sessions - with the emphasis on the people and the social dynamic instead of "what happened" - might help us give advice.

fusangite

First Post
What do they do when they're not paying attention?

It may be that, like my Thursday night group, people come together and socialize with the game as a sort of perfunctory excuse for getting together and drinking a bunch of rum, the way poker works with some groups of guys.

If the socializing and crosstalk have become the focus of the evening instead of the game, that's okay. That's a good basis for getting together all on its own. However, if you would like the game to move back into the foreground again, it sounds like you will have to come up with something more fun for your players than whatever is holding their attention now. If you, as some previous posters have suggested, come up with something even less fun, it is not going to help the situation.

So, what do your players enjoy? When you see them really enjoying a session, what kind of stuff is happening? What aspects of the game give them emotional payoffs?

T. Foster

First Post
Sounds like your players aren't really interested in your plot (they'll say they are if you ask them, but that's probably because they want to keep you happy so you'll keep running the game and they don't have to). My guess is that they're probably there to 1) socialize and 2) "play the game" (which means, essentially, to kill stuff and harvest treasure and XP, and perhaps solve an occasional logic-puzzle) and everything else is at best secondary to and at worst a distraction from those two goals. The players are there to have fun, and if their idea of fun is socializing and killing things and taking their stuff, that's what they're going to want to do, whether your game provides for it or not.

The best solution with this type of players IMO is to roll with it and adapt your plot to their shallow short-attention-span playstyle -- throw out your house-rules, radically simplify your plots, and always keep the action moving at a brisk clip (if the characters are in pretty much constant danger of dying horribly right now the players will be less likely to get distracted -- there will still probably be lots of crosstalk and OOC chatter (since that's, probably, part of what they're there for -- if they didn't want to socialize they could play CRPGs at home) but it will tend to be more about the action in-game ("oh, man, your character is so going to get killed by that thing!" "duede! get your lazy butt over here and help me out!" etc.) rather than out-of-game stuff, which is what you want). Don't be afraid to spoonfeed the plot to them or even blatantly railroad them, so long as it keeps the action moving and the excitement level high (for example, if your intended plot was to involve the players spending several sessions investigating in town to gather clues to figure out who the bug bad guy is and where his hideout is, and then traveling across the wilderness to that place to raid it, consider skipping (or at least radically shortening) all of that investigation and travel and cutting right to the climax -- the action-heavy raid on the bad guy's lair).

Which isn't to say you should throw out your plots entirely and face the party off against random opponents and challenges by any means, because even casual players want to feel like they're accomplishing something, like they're fighting these bad guys and exploring this dungeon for a reason, and they want to build up histories (of a sort) for their characters. As long as you keep the plots simple and the action moving, you'll probably find the players becoming engaged in the plot (albeit probably in a shallower way than you might have hoped for -- they might not remember the bad guy's name or what exactly he did that was so bad, but they'll remember that they hate him and want to kill him and take his stuff!) and that should provide at least some satisfaction to you -- better they appreciate a stripped-down/dumbed-down version of your plot than fail to appreciate the full, elaborate version, right?

ETA: And I agree with fusangite

Last edited:

Remove ads