• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fog, smoke and concealment

Rogue problem

First Post
I am confused how smoke works for concealing you and your opponent in battle. Say there is a 10ft cube of smoke. My opponent is next to me 10ft from the smoke and I am right next to the smoke but not in it, 5' away. If I 5 foot step back into the smoke do then have just concealment from my opponent? And does he then have concealment from me since I am looking through smoke? Now say I step another 5 feet back deeper into the smoke. Do I now have total concealment from him? Can I see him being that he is not surrounded in smoke even though there is 5 feet of smoke in the space between us. Would he then have concealment from me or total concealment or no concealment? I guess what I'm asking is if the smoke space I occupy counts against my own visability.

frankthedm

First Post
Ranged: Maybe... Depends on the undefined defintion of boarders in the grid system of the D&D game.

Melee: no.

Concealment

To determine whether your target has concealment from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that provides concealment, the target has concealment.

When making a melee attack against an adjacent target, your target has concealment if his space is entirely within an effect that grants concealment. When making a melee attack against a target that isn’t adjacent to you use the rules for determining concealment from ranged attacks.

smokestuckwr1.gif

Last edited:

Remove ads