D&D 5E Folding Constitution into Strength

Yunru

Banned
Banned
ancient_aliens_guy_by_foxyboxes750-db6twzn.jpg

Oofta

Legend
Just to clarify do you mean low Wisdom in the traditional sense where the person in question makes poor choices, or the 5e D&D sense where they are terrible at perceiving their surroundings, interpreting a persons intent, or have bad situation awareness etc?

Yes. :)

In reality it's kind of difficult to define, one of those "you know it when you see it". Probably more the "lack of situational awareness" which leads to dumb decisions. So not paying attention to things around him, forgetful professor type. He has a good (bordering on photographic) memory and doesn't forget things that are important to him and can still recite poems he memorized in high school for fun.

It's also not picking up on social queues, taking unnecessary risks. Some of it is also what people would probably call low "social IQ" and dealing with people. He's open and warm in many ways but just kind of clueless.

He's a good guy, just ... low wisdom.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I rolled Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution all into a Physical attribute. It works pretty well, but it requires players to have an idea of who their characters are in order to faithfully describe how they accomplish something:

DM: You drink the Dwarven Ale!? Haha, roll a Physical check to see if you survive.

Player: What the heck!? Is it poisoned? I already have the Ettercap Flu...fine. I use my rock-hard abs to help my stomach eject it (rolls Physical).

Versus three abilities:

DM: You drink the Dwarven Ale!? Haha, roll a Constitution check to see if you survive.

Player: What the heck!? Is it poisoned? My Con is already down to 6 thanks to my Ettercap Flu...fine. I (rolls Con/save) die, I guess.

The other problem with rolling three stats together was that I had to write an entirely new game. So, there's that. :)

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I could certainly see using "Might" as a condensed ability score. Individuals with disparate abilities could get a circumstance bonus: "You have advantage on Might checks when your endurance would be critical to success." However, tradition is strong with this game. I'm also not sure that Might wouldn't be a little too powerful compared to the other abilities.

Of course, I suppose you could condensed or re-work them as well. Oh what a different world if D&D had Might, Grace, & Cunning instead of the traditional six.

'course, at some point you're designing a new game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads