• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fomorians article on DDI

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Mourn said:
Actually, it wouldn't be used because it's an actual location in Exalted, not a theoretical metaphysical being/force in the Werewolf that was canceled 4 years ago.
Sort of a meta-location, but anyways.

I like the Fomorian stuff; first of all, mad giant kings ruling the Night Below (a very cool name!), coveting the fey treasures of the Eladrin are all kinds of awesome on their own.

Even more importantly, the importance and prominence of Fomorians means that the drow can be used for other purposes than the default anti-elves; this is a good thing both for the people who like them and who hate them.

Pazu

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
Golden what now?

Nothing like that in my PH.

Oh, topic! Man, that formorian art was sweet, huh?

The article and art were indeed very nice.

But could you please tell Chris Youngs that the plural form of cyclops is cyclopes, not "cyclopses"?

pukunui

Legend
lutecius said:
The only thing that makes these new fomorians closer to mythology is their war with the eladrin. The Fomors were not particularly crazy and did not live underground (they were seafarers). Nor did they had anything to do with dryads.
It may not be the right real world mythology for them but it still feels like it is and that's good enough for me. ;)

Primal

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
One of the story highlights in 4E for me is that it brings several elements that are closer to (western) mythology. I like that. Feywild, amoral feys, and now the Fomorian. I don't care about "traditional D&D" if I can get something that feels a little "closer to home", but still fantastic.

I probably wouldn't mind as much if I were creating a completely new 'Points of Light' setting for my 4E campaign. However, whether you are a "homebrewer" with a detailed setting of your own or prefer to use Eberron or FR, it changes a lot. My players would probably joke a lot about how these misshapen giants living in mountain caves (i.e. how they've appeared in the previous editions) and whom they fought in the previous campaigns had suddenly "evolved" into new rulers of this 'Feydark'. Talk about consistency there.

Primal said:
I probably wouldn't mind as much if I were creating a completely new 'Points of Light' setting for my 4E campaign. However, whether you are a "homebrewer" with a detailed setting of your own or prefer to use Eberron or FR, it changes a lot. My players would probably joke a lot about how these misshapen giants living in mountain caves (i.e. how they've appeared in the previous editions) and whom they fought in the previous campaigns had suddenly "evolved" into new rulers of this 'Feydark'. Talk about consistency there.
Well, they are still deformed, I presume. "ruler of the Feydark" is fluff. (Mostly. I won't discount the possibility of a Leader-Like ability, but that might still be appropriate, Feydark ruler or not.)
If you didn't have the Feydark/Feywild before, don't force it on your homebrew, unless you want to. ;(

I like some fluff with my crunch. But if it doesn't work for me, I throw it away, like when I am trying to use the crunch for an existing campaign. If I create a new one, the new fluff is great, since I can start with that and see where it leads me.

Reminds me that I never used the Great Wheel much. My Dragonstar Campaign obviously was totally different. My Diamond Throne campaign, too. My D&D campaign didn't dwell on it. Iron Heroes - no room for it yet. I was surprised to hear that some people felt that the Great Wheel was an integral part of 3.x (or maybe even previous editions) of D&D, because it seemed to me nearly as much "fluff" as calling a spell "Melfs Acid Arrow" or "Mordekainens Magnificant Mansion". The Manual of the Planes looked to me like a toolbox to create any kind of cosmology, maybe that's why I never got the Great Wheel as mandatory.. But I digress...

Kishin

First Post
Mourn said:
Actually, it wouldn't be used because it's an actual location in Exalted, not a theoretical metaphysical being/force in the Werewolf that was canceled 4 years ago.

That too, but I have more familiarity with the Apocalypse than Saint Seiya the RPG...Err, I mean Exalted.

leonarr

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Well, they are still deformed, I presume. "ruler of the Feydark" is fluff. (Mostly. I won't discount the possibility of a Leader-Like ability, but that might still be appropriate, Feydark ruler or not.)
If you didn't have the Feydark/Feywild before, don't force it on your homebrew, unless you want to. ;(

I like some fluff with my crunch. But if it doesn't work for me, I throw it away, like when I am trying to use the crunch for an existing campaign. If I create a new one, the new fluff is great, since I can start with that and see where it leads me.

Reminds me that I never used the Great Wheel much. My Dragonstar Campaign obviously was totally different. My Diamond Throne campaign, too. My D&D campaign didn't dwell on it. Iron Heroes - no room for it yet. I was surprised to hear that some people felt that the Great Wheel was an integral part of 3.x (or maybe even previous editions) of D&D, because it seemed to me nearly as much "fluff" as calling a spell "Melfs Acid Arrow" or "Mordekainens Magnificant Mansion". The Manual of the Planes looked to me like a toolbox to create any kind of cosmology, maybe that's why I never got the Great Wheel as mandatory.. But I digress...
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The greatest advantage of pen and paper rulesets as opposed to CRPGs is the complete changability of every aspect, with a little creativity and work. In my 20 years of GMing I've tinkered with every 'official' setting and mutate things to suit my homebrew worlds. There are rules and fluff, but no hard coded requirements to follow them. Trying swapping gnomes for halflings in WoW.

ferratus

Adventurer
I was disappointed when I opened my miniatures box and found a Fomorian in it.

Now, I can't imagine not using Fomorians in my upcoming campaign. It definately wins for "most improved monster" in 4e. I also like the hint that goblins might be associated a little more closely with the feywild, which would finally distinguish them from orcs.

For the name of the fey underdark, I'm thinking of calling it "The Barrows".

Remove ads