• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs Guild Font size

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Had to pick a prefix......

Anyway, what is everyone's thought on font size? Especially for PDFs? Was reading a post by a successful author, who said he was moving away from the tiny font found in nearly all RPG products.....

I'm experimenting with moving to 11, rather than 8/9 for most things....but that's tough in a statblock.....

Thanks for the input.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Disclaimer: Consumer, not publisher.

I use PDFs in three ways primarily. On a PC/large tablet where I expect to be able to read it in portrait or landscape. Printing out references for a game (say a stat block), or on a phone where I expect to only see some and have to zoom in.

So really, my goal is to have a font a reasonable size and not have have to scroll left or right to finish a line and move to the next, but also not waste too much left or right real estate either. So 2 or 3 columns would make a big difference to font sizes - doing only 2 columns and a tiny font wouldn't work as I'd have to scroll to the sides on each line, but doing 3 columns and a large font would also feel like wasted space.

That all said, my own notes that I print out at 11 point, so that works out well for me.

And I don't know if this is discouraged for layout but sidebars, statblocks and the like can be in a different font and size as needed.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If accessibility is a concern, making sure your PDFs are laid out with screen readers in mind, font size becomes much less of a concern, though larger fonts are of course always appreciated.

aco175

Legend
I use 10pt Calibri for the body text and for stat blocks. I also use 9pt for some stuff in textblocks like background and playtest notes.

Remove ads