• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Footwork Lure - Sliding Big Creatures

tiornys

Explorer
What about ruling that the square of the enemy's space that the Fighter targets with his attack is the square that has to occupy the Fighter's former space, and if that's impossible then the slide is impossible? That solves at least some of the issues. Does it leave any issues unsolved?

t~

Pasus Nauran

First Post
I'll just chime in and say that the reason I see that the movement in Footwork Lure is a slide instead of a pull is because it allows the following scenario:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's a slide because the target moves to your former square. If it was a pull, he'd be pulled to where you moved to as far as I know.

Herschel

Adventurer
I don't know if this helps or not, but I tend to picture sliding a large creature as repositioning yourself so that its own body is in the way of it attacking you, so it shifts position slightly to get a better angle to you.

I'l visualize you one better (or something like that): The power's name is Footwork LURE. There is no physical push, pull or slide, you're going at it hard and lethal, weapon-to-weapon, forearm-to-melon, toe-to-toe, etc. The baddie's bearing down on you, trying to squash you like a moldy grape. You sidestep, he steps directly where you were. He moved exactly where he was trying to get spacially, it's just that he didn't move THROUGH your backside, you gave up the spot.

ST

First Post
The funny thing about powers is that the rule "You can reflavor this power and describe it how you want" really needs to apply to the name of the power as well.

Fortunately, in actual play the group only needs to go through this rigamarole of "Wait, how are we describing this again?" for the powers that actually get bought and used by PCs. I think trying to justify how every power in the book works, absent actual play, is just a sisyphean effort.

That's great herschel, except it doesn't explain the bajillion other abilities that can slide larger creatures.

Let me throw a couple of examples:

Footwork Lure:
"Modo the dwarf fighter swings his axe in a large arc, hitting a glancing blow on the wyvern's beak, but apparently leaving his flank exposed.
The wyvern, seeing a good opportunity, claps her leathery wings and lunges forward the bearded bastard.
Suddenly, the dwarf smiles and uses the momentum from his axe blow to jump sideways, moving out of reach of the wyvern's claws. The wyvern, however, is not so nimble and moves forward a few feet before braking with its wings..."

Bait and Switch:
"Conina the rogue opens her arms, in a "come hither" gesture that infuriated the hill giant, which charges forward, trying to crush that pesky human.
Conina however, rolls forward between the giant's legs, slashing the inside of the thigh. The giant stumbles forward while Conina rolls through the other side in a gymnast's flip..."

You can also see an example of Deadly Positioning in the art in page 122

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads