• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

? for all those that use a VTT program currently

mysticknight232

First Post
I am just curious how many, if any of you, sit in the same room to game while using VTT software? If you do sit in the same room, do you project your battle map onto something or do all your players have laptops and are all connected to the same program with you?

nerfherder

Explorer
We have 4 players in one room, and a remote DM in another room 100 miles away.

The DM has 1 PC in his room, and we have two laptops, a microphone and a flat screen TV in our room.

The DM communicates via video skype with one laptop placed on a table near the centre of the room. He can't see all of us, but it doesn't seem to matter too much. We can all see him.

We use a server-based VTT (it's free - I don't know what it's called) and both rooms log onto it (the DM uses his PC, we use our second laptop). We have the laptop connected to the flat screen TV, so that the VTT is clear and visible to all.

We've used this approach about half a dozen times now, and it has worked successfully.

What we'd like to be able to do is have multiple skype video feeds, so that we could invite other ex-players who now live miles away. I haven't found a product that does this, though.

IronWolf

blank
I am just curious how many, if any of you, sit in the same room to game while using VTT software? If you do sit in the same room, do you project your battle map onto something or do all your players have laptops and are all connected to the same program with you?

I've primarily played with a VTT where no one is in the same room and using voice chat. I have used a VTT in my pen and paper campaign when not everyone could be together and some folks were going to miss. Then we had two players in one room connected to the VTT and I was remote GM'ing the game.

I've been tempted to try it for sessions where we are all together, but sometimes game night is my chance to actually be *away* from the tech for awhile. So I have not done so yet.

What we'd like to be able to do is have multiple skype video feeds, so that we could invite other ex-players who now live miles away. I haven't found a product that does this, though.

I think the Skype Beta allows video conferencing now? Would that work for you?

jcayer

Explorer
We've been moving up the technology scale for the past year or 2. Initially, we started with a whiteboard. Then I moved onto dundjinni, but printing it out and taping it together was too much work.

About 2 months ago, we moved to a projector and maptools. So far no one has played remote, but next session one of our players will be trying it out. In person, it rocks.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I run three types of games.

First, I have a weekly game that's online only. I DM from Colorado, while my players are in California, South Dakota, Indiana, somewhere on the east coast, and London. We use MapTool and Skype for audio chat.

Second, I have a weekly game that's in-person. I use MapTool and a projector to project the image down onto the table. My monsters and dice are programmed into MapTool; the players use minis and roll their own dice.

Third, I run Living Forgotten Realms games at my local store and local conventions. It's the same situation as my in-person home games: MapTool + projector for me, minis and physical dice for the players.

It's been a blast, and I've been blogging about it for months.

For what it's worth, I'm definitely interested in trying out the Virtual Table from WotC. I'm crossing my fingers to get an invitation to the beta.

darkwing

First Post
Second, I have a weekly game that's in-person. I use MapTool and a projector to project the image down onto the table. My monsters and dice are programmed into MapTool; the players use minis and roll their own dice.
I assume the projector is above the table. Do the minis cause shadow problems? Do you have some kind of setup where the projector is below the table and the table top is a rear projection screen?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I assume the projector is above the table. Do the minis cause shadow problems? Do you have some kind of setup where the projector is below the table and the table top is a rear projection screen?

The projector rig itself can be seen here, and there are photos of it in action here and here.

Yes, the projector is mounted above the table (I need it to be portable to take to the game store / conventions, so I couldn't build it into a special table at home). Minis can cast shadows (as you can see in the last picture above), but it's never been a problem - it's actually kind of a cool effect.

kmdietri

Explorer
Up until recently everyone would have their own laptop to run Fantasy Grounds on and then we'd use our regular battle mat and figures as the map.

But a few weeks ago we purchased a projector and now we're projecting everything. The characters keep their laptops in front of them so they can look up things.

Fantasy grounds handles 4th so darn well I can't imagine running without it now.

Vartan

First Post
My buddies and I have been using Masterplan's built in combat encounter functions to run our game. The DM (using a laptop) sits behind a LCD monitor hooked to the laptop.

The DM sees everything he needs to run the encounter (including the map) on his screen while the players see the combat map and a sidebar with initiative order and status effects on the standalone monitor.

Players declare their actions, roll their dice, tell the DM where they want to move, etc.; the DM manages all the math and controls movement on the map from his laptop.

I'm sure it sounds like a Gary-just-rolled-over-in-his-grave abomination to a lot of players. It isn't for everybody. For us it kicks a lot of ass.

Remove ads